DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   EVF Flip for 35mm adaptor issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/87526-evf-flip-35mm-adaptor-issues.html)

Kirk Pflaum February 25th, 2007 04:06 PM

EVF Flip for 35mm adaptor issues

Just wondering if anyone has managing to get around the useless idea of being able to flip the EVF image but only when your canon lens is not attached?

I mean, what were they thinking? Yes I've tried partially removing my lens to trick the camera into thinking the lens isn't there and yes it then allows me to flip the image, but then of course the lens is made to shut the iris down once disconnected from the camera, rendering that idea useless. I thought about covering some of the pins on the lens to trick it, but seemed like a bad idea...

Does anyone know if there is a firmware update to fix this mis guided oversight?

In the mean time, i continue to shoot with my whole EVF/mic eyepiece mounted upside down on the camera, therefore shooting everything from the right side of the camera, when using 35mm adapters...

John Benton February 26th, 2007 07:44 AM

I use an on Camera HD monitor for precise focus.
This will flip the image (actually I use the Letus which replaces the stock lens and has image flip)

You really need a good monitor to see the prescision of focus with the shallow DOF Anyway!
This combined with the VF peaking works well.
but I am getting pretty good at jusdging the VF

J

John Benton February 26th, 2007 07:46 AM

fyi ---some guy is selling one in the classified section here

James W. Graham June 11th, 2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Pflaum (Post 631889)
Just wondering if anyone has managing to get around the useless idea of being able to flip the EVF image but only when your canon lens is not attached?

I mean, what were they thinking? Yes I've tried partially removing my lens to trick the camera into thinking the lens isn't there and yes it then allows me to flip the image, but then of course the lens is made to shut the iris down once disconnected from the camera, rendering that idea useless. I thought about covering some of the pins on the lens to trick it, but seemed like a bad idea...

Does anyone know if there is a firmware update to fix this mis guided oversight?

In the mean time, i continue to shoot with my whole EVF/mic eyepiece mounted upside down on the camera, therefore shooting everything from the right side of the camera, when using 35mm adapters...

I've literally wasted a day on this issue, looking for a resolution. I took delivery of my brevis this morning. I didn't order the flip module because canon CLEARLY states that you can set up a custom key to perform the evf flip for you.

And it doesn't.

The folks at canon must have taken a powder when designing this "feature".

I have the very latest version of the XL-H1.

Robert Sanders June 11th, 2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Benton (Post 632143)
I use an on Camera HD monitor for precise focus.
This will flip the image (actually I use the Letus which replaces the stock lens and has image flip)

You really need a good monitor to see the prescision of focus with the shallow DOF Anyway!
This combined with the VF peaking works well.
but I am getting pretty good at jusdging the VF

J

I agree with John whole heartedly. This camera is difficult to focus in its stock configuration, let alone with shallow DOF.