Commercial shot with XLH1 and Mini35 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 28th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #16
Major Player

Thank's Ken!

Xl H1 and Mini35 is really nice, but it has downsides as well. We had our share of troubles with the Mini35. I rented the kit, and had to send back two kits for cleaning. I'm lucky to have a focus puller champion!

I planned to buy a Mini35 kit, but I'm now considering Red One instead. Mini35 and a primes series is not so far from a Red One kit.
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:43 PM   #17
Major Player

the visuals are to die for. Someday I hope to understand all the technical stuff mentioned, and have the chance to work with others. While the visuals were great I felt the actual message wasn`t conveyed very well. I had to watch it several times to try and figure out where the shoes were etc that everyone was looking at...the first run through I had no clue what was happening. Just my view.
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Thank you Nathan, for your input.

It's always a thin line to balance; you don't want to be to obvious (and kill the idea), but of course we want all to get it at then end. After about 40 cuts you have to go for one...

Anyway this cut is a web film which will be shown at www.vagabond.com, so the visitor will have a clue what to look for. But I'm happy for all input as we eventually we will go for theatres as well.
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM   #19
Major Player

well not sure if it`d cross the line or not, but simply in the beginning if there were a close up of the woman wearing the shoes it may have helped, like a logo 'shout out' or something similar...though I think it was different people through out the commercial....but it may have still gotten it across more clearly. And your welcome, thanks for taking honesty well :)
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:33 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Jonas, that was Gorgeous, absolutely beautiful! The story setup was very intriguing, entertaining, the whole piece was very well done.
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:49 AM   #21
Major Player

Thank you Benjamin! Happy that you like the piece. And really happy that you like the story, as I have written the script as well.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:32 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Slow Mo Workflow in Shake?

Hey Jonas!

Great work! We are very impressed!

We are going to shoot 2 commercials next week with XL-H1 and one of these commercial will be entirely in slow motion. I am trying the Nattress plugin, but I am having some difficulties - a long work around to get the right result.

I am an experienced Shake user and I am dying to learn how you do it in Shake.
Can you share with us the steps to get a nice slow mo in Shake? Please? :-D

Thanks a lot!
Andrea Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:55 AM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Andrea!

This time I didn't do the slow-mos myself - I left the job to a post house, and they did most of slomos in Shake. I'm not a really good "shaker" so I don't think I can help you there. Only one thing - for the slowmo commersial - shoot in 60i (but assume you already know)! Good luck with your production next week.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:06 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thank you, Jonas!

I will do some tests here. I think I know how to achieve it in Shake.

Thanks again!
Andrea Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM   #25
Regular Crew

And the story too! Jonas the story was brilliant, the whole time, continuously alluding to the shoes yet never intentionally showing them had me asking myself, what are they looking at? and my curiosity kept me watching ( that and the gorgeous cinematography) and even then when i knew they were shoes, i did not know exactly what they looked like, so as to have the viewer wanting to see what they actually looked like, brilliantly done.
Benjamin Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #26
Major Player

Thanks Benjamin! I'm flattered... /J
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:37 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Just to check, the slo-mo shots were shot at 50i while the rest of it were in 25f?

What was the workflow of the shoot and edit of the whole commercial? Were the 25f and 50i shot on the same tape or you switched tapes whenever you do a slo-mo? As for editing, 25f and 50i shots on the same timeline or the 50i shots had to be treated in Shake first before importing to the 25f timeline?

Thanks!
Zulkifli Yusof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 01:58 PM   #28
Major Player

Jonas, really well done, one shot i had a concern, a girl going down the elevator, part of her face seem to be a little overexposed.
Jus curious what problems you had with mini 35, where did you send it for cleaning? Regards, Oleg.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulkifli Yusof View Post
Just to check, the slo-mo shots were shot at 50i while the rest of it were in 25f?

What was the workflow of the shoot and edit of the whole commercial? Were the 25f and 50i shot on the same tape or you switched tapes whenever you do a slo-mo? As for editing, 25f and 50i shots on the same timeline or the 50i shots had to be treated in Shake first before importing to the 25f timeline?

Thanks!
I usally mix 25p and 50i on the same tape. Shake make up the frame(s) between the original. Sometimes it works great, sometimes you can see some warping, as in the first clip with the chefs (see in background grid). For converting of 50i clips I use Nattress filter standard conversion filters.
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
Jonas, really well done, one shot i had a concern, a girl going down the elevator, part of her face seem to be a little overexposed.
Jus curious what problems you had with mini 35, where did you send it for cleaning? Regards, Oleg.
Thanks Oleg.

It just don't seems, she is partly overexposed ;-)

The mini35s had some dirt; some particles (probably flakes of the inhouse black colour) found it's way to the ground glass. I don't think the Mini35s were very well served, and the renthouse gave me the half off in reduction. I think if you are planning to work a lot with Mini35 your better to own one yourself.
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders