Change frame rates on same tape? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 29th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Change frame rates on same tape?

This might be a silly question but here it goes: if I'm recording in HDV 24f can I change to 60i on the same tape, take note of the TC, and make changes in FCP's capture settings when I get there?

Coming from the film world you would never change ASA in the middle of a roll, just wondering if the same applies to the digital world.

Cheers,
D
David Bertinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I never paid attention to the timecode, but when I was shooting a short film, I shot 60i at the beginning of the tape, and then 24F afterwards, and FCP was able to distinguish between the two and capture accordingly.

I'll have to look and see if I still have the tape, or the captured material here. If I do, I'll look into it some more and let you know.
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Cool, Thanks.

Cheers,
D
David Bertinelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

24f or 60i...

Hello David,

Well, it depends on what you are doing...

If you are shooting in two formats of frame rates in the same tape, it have to be transfer from the same camera.
If you don;t transfer from the same camera it will give you a problem in the moment of transfering, because the 24f could only be playback from the same camera.

Carlos Quinones
It's Written Productions, LLc.
www.itswrittenproductions.com
Carlos Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Quinones View Post
Hello David,

Well, it depends on what you are doing...

If you are shooting in two formats of frame rates in the same tape, it have to be transfer from the same camera.
If you don;t transfer from the same camera it will give you a problem in the moment of transfering, because the 24f could only be playback from the same camera.

Carlos Quinones
It's Written Productions, LLc.
www.itswrittenproductions.com
Carlos,
While your experience may be that your camera can only playback the tapes recorded on it ... that is not how it is supposed to work. Any Canon HDV camera from the HV10 on up is capable of playing back the 24F HDV footage. If the camera which recorded the tape is out of alignment then you could be in the predicament you describe. Since most Canon owners don't seem to playback their tapes on other units it is hard to say how many are out of alignment. Since the introduction of the HV10,HV20, XHA1, and XHG1 the number of cameras which can play back footage from the Canon 24F HDV has grown tremendously
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders