slow motion with XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 10th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

slow motion with XLH1

I read allot about slow motion in our camcorder like JVC-HD100 and now with Canon XLH1 but until now i didn't understand how and which is the best way to get very clear slow motion job , aim in Pal land and i use Canon XLH1 with 25 and 50 only, so please if theirs any one can help me for that ?,many thanks for all.
Mouayed Zabtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I haven't did any post work yet using my XLH1 wildlife footage, however, I've done lots with XL1 footage and I find that using a mininum shutter speed of 1/120 of a second is needed for good looking slow motion. In fact this is my favorite shutter speed when filming wildlife.

Leon Lorenz
www.wildlifevideos.ca
Leon Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #3
Trustee

Mouayed, you'll find a thread about this here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=slow+motion

As Leon tells you encreasing the shutter speed will help, I found that between 1/120 - 1/210 gives me the best result. I've put online a short sample of some Mute Swan here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=89671 nothing other have been done in post than reducing the speed to 25%.
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouayed Zabtia View Post
I read allot about slow motion in our camcorder like JVC-HD100 and now with Canon XLH1...
Not sure if Canon could release a modified version of the H1 camera, like JVC did with the HD250 and 60P, but you would gain a 60% reduction when going down to 24P. I understand that it would mean a different encoder, but it would be nice to see Canon try something like this. I have worked with the HD100 and the HD250 and reducing frame rates, but nothing on the H1 yet.

Per, the Swan footage looked great. I would have liked to see some at 1/120 to compare the motion blur to the 1/210. I noticed that Canon does not list 1/210 on the specification page, is this only on the PAL upgraded H1?

peace! And thanks.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders