DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What is wrong looks like 3D whitout 3D glasses? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/91455-what-wrong-looks-like-3d-whitout-3d-glasses.html)

Finn Noer April 13th, 2007 05:37 PM

What is wrong looks like 3D whitout 3D glasses?

Hi
My name is Finn and this is my first post ever here in this forum. Today I recieved my Canon XL H1, and it just looks great. But when I turne it on and looks through the WF it all looks totally wrong. It actually looks like watching a 3D movie without 3D glasses.
What is wrong and what can I do?
If anybody can help me I will be very, very happy.
I'm a totally novice on this camera.
Best regards from Finn

Ken Diewert April 13th, 2007 10:22 PM

Finn,

Did you try rotating the sliding diopter adjustment on top (and bottom) of the rubber eyecup?

Chris Hurd April 13th, 2007 10:31 PM

After focusing the diopter per Ken's suggestion above, if it still doesn't look right, flip the diopter up so that you're looking directly at the LCD panel. If the problem is still there, then you need to return the camera for service.

Johan Forssblad April 14th, 2007 03:54 AM

Exposure way to hot perhaps?

Hello Finn,
Nice to meet a neighbour here!
Have you turned on an appropriate ND filter on the lens for the light situation? If the light is much stronger than the exposure selected you may see strange pictures in the VF. Put it on manual M and observe the exposure meter to be sure you are about in middle and not at the extremes ends.
Good luck! /Johan

Finn Noer April 14th, 2007 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 659899)
After focusing the diopter per Ken's suggestion above, if it still doesn't look right, flip the diopter up so that you're looking directly at the LCD panel. If the problem is still there, then you need to return the camera for service.

<Thanks for helping, but the problem is still there;-(

Finn Noer April 14th, 2007 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad (Post 660013)
Hello Finn,
Have you turned on an appropriate ND filter on the lens for the light situation? If the light is much stronger than the exposure selected you may see strange pictures in the VF. Put it on manual M and observe the exposure meter to be sure you are about in middle and not at the extremes ends.
Good luck! /Johan

Hi Johan
Thanks for welcoming me this way;-)
The ND filter doesn't seem to have any influence on the way the gren red and blue colours behave. The colours looks like they allmost are totally seperated.
If possible I would like to get further assistance.
Do you have any other ideas?
HAve a nice weekend.

Best regards from Finn

Finn Noer April 14th, 2007 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Diewert (Post 659894)
Finn,

Did you try rotating the sliding diopter adjustment on top (and bottom) of the rubber eyecup?

Hi Ken
I tried to do what you suggested, but id did not help.
Thank you for trying to help me.
Best regards from Finn

P.S. You are welcome to com with other suggestions;-)

Finn Noer April 14th, 2007 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad (Post 660013)
Hello Finn,
Good luck! /Johan

Hi again
If anybody is interested, I can mail some pictures made by the camera. They look excatly the same as a video sekvens, and that is not good;-)
Best regards from

Finn

Mike Teutsch April 14th, 2007 06:16 AM

Finn,

Save yourself some time, and just get it packed up for return/repair. Sounds like something is out of alignment in the CCD area.

Return it or send it off for repair.

Mike

Johan Forssblad April 14th, 2007 09:36 AM

I'm sorry for you Finn. Terrible when you get a new toy to play with.
Perhaps the camera has got excessive G-forces in the shipping.
A friend who is professional videographer working with the big Sony machines tells me he usually takes a one chip camera if he is on vacation and puts the camera in checked luggage. He says a 3 CCD camera is very sensitive for the alignment of the CCDs relative each other and he has got three CCDs cameras out of alignment by dropping them.

Think it should be easy to check for this if you make a shot of a pair of white cross on a black background and make shure you have them in focus.

Good luck! /Johan

Finn Noer April 14th, 2007 01:45 PM

Hi Johan
If you are interested I can mail you the still picture-shots I made on a black and white sofa, looks interesting;-)
Have a nice weekend
Best regards from
Finn

Finn Noer April 14th, 2007 01:52 PM

Hi Johan
If this is the case (wrong CCD alignment), do you or your friend know if it is expensive to have fixed?
I bought the camera via Ebay 1 week ago, and the seller is allready informed about the problem, and he is of-course willing to take it back, but honestly I would prefer to have it fixed and just let him pay the bill.
Best regards from Finn

Johan Forssblad April 17th, 2007 02:24 AM

Hej Finn,
I think you have to ask a Canon service center to get a price indication for this. My friend dropped Sony cameras. If you like you could try to mail an example photo to me through this site. It could be interesting to view. However, I don't want to screw your camcorder; One pixel width out of alignment is less than 1/100 mm to correct so it is really a precision job to adjust it. /Johan

Finn Noer April 21st, 2007 05:40 PM

Photos from "damaged" Canon XL H1

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johan Forssblad (Post 661720)
Hej Finn,
I think you have to ask a Canon service center to get a price indication for this. My friend dropped Sony cameras. If you like you could try to mail an example photo to me through this site. It could be interesting to view. However, I don't want to screw your camcorder; One pixel width out of alignment is less than 1/100 mm to correct so it is really a precision job to adjust it. /Johan

Hi Johan
Here is the photos.
The sofa you can see is totally black and white "normaly"
Regards from
Finn

Johan Forssblad April 22nd, 2007 02:19 PM

Hej Finn,
The links worked fine. Nice test photo sofa you have! Looks to me your red sensor is shifted a lot horisontally compared to the green and blue. Have you asked Canon in Denmark? I'm sorry you got this bad experience. Good luck /Johan