Nikon lens advice please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 17th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nikon lens advice please

Hello having bought a canon xl h1 and the redrock m2 HD package, I now need a good nikon lens, can anybody suggest a good lens. I am told i need to be looking at:

Nikon f2.8 or lower prime lens.

I am the first to admit I am lost whne it comes to lens, so not sure where to go, or what i should be looking at, any suggestions or model numbers very appreciated.

ps. Im in the uk.

thanks.
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

It all depends on what focal lengths you are looking for. Generally, F2.8 lenses are much better quality but when you get up to 300mm their F4 has very good quality glass.

I understand that many of the newer lenses do not have an aperture ring so these will not be any good with the H1.

Andy Davies
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I have a Nikon (Nikkor) 50 mm F 1.4 bought from EBay that has been great. Gets good coverage to the ground glass throughout the Fstops. Steven Dempsey recommends the E Series 100mm. I have one coming You also need a 28mm wide to complete a set for your first lenses. I have a Canon 24mm, that has fall off at the edges for my Letus adapter. If I was only buying one, I would get the 50 mm. Understand that the lower the F Stop, the more light that the lens will be able to pass to the ground glass. However, most of the time, you won't shoot wide open. So a 50 mm 1.8 is fine, too.
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Major Player

You might want to try going to a camera shop that takes old gear on concession. People are dumping their old film kit by the ton and replacing it with digita so there should be lots of stuff to pick through and try out.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Andy,
Have you checked out the Red Rock forums.
There's LOTS of info there. I go there at least once a week.
You'll also find lots of user footage that may inspire you.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just Googled "Red Rock Forum" but couldn't find anything. Could you give me a link please?

Thanks

Andy
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Inner Circle

http://www.redrockmicro.com/forum/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders