EVF Went Dark at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 20th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Major Player

EVF Went Dark

I just returned back to the states after spending a month in Ecuador shooting footage for a possible documentary, target being PBS. The first day everything was just fine, and then on the second day the EVF went dark for no reason at all. I only had about 25% brightness with no color at all. I was using manual focus for a lot of the work, and it was near impossible to get good focus, but I managed the best I could. I had a HV10 with me that I used to review important on camera footage after I shot it. The EVF finally died and I had to shoot the rest of the trip with the HV10, which if a great camera for what it is. The H1 is less than a year old, so I'll send it in for repair, no problem. It was a bummer to spend a lot of money for this trip, and to have something like this happen. Has anyone else had, or heard of this problem.
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Trustee

Don,

That sucks, sorry to hear about it. Never heard of it before. Funny how it faded out first as opposed to just dying. When you do find out, please let us know.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Don;
My H1 is just over a year old and I've had trouble with break-up in the EVF for awhile. I have found if I unplug the EVF from the body and blow into the the jack and plug the EVF back in it works fine, until the next time.

The EVF is definitely the not the H1s strong point. Canon, more resolution and better cabling. PLEASE. or go with that external HD monitor from Marshall.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Just a follow up. I hand carried the camera to Canon in Irvine, California, and it was the backlight, which I gess they call the LCD. They replaced it, cleaned the camera, and shipped it back Fedex overnight so I would have it for the Memorial Day weekend. It was covered under warranty and the turn around time was 2 weeks. I'm happy to have the camera back and with the service I received from Canon.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Good to hear!
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders