DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   editing / playback decks yet again (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/92272-editing-playback-decks-yet-again.html)

Steve Showalter April 24th, 2007 10:31 AM

editing / playback decks yet again

I am ready to purchase a canon XL H1 and have learned about some issues with the eidting deck. We currently use sony eidting decks for a GL1 and XL1 and have had no problems.
I am being told by BH who I do trust and Canon I need to use one of their lower end HD cameras such as the HV 10.

Any adivce or experience with this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

Ken Diewert April 24th, 2007 10:59 AM

I think you're in the wrong place Steve (don't worry someone will move you), but yes lots of people use the HV10 for a deck. It supports all frame rates.

Steve Showalter April 24th, 2007 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Diewert (Post 666489)
I think you're in the wrong place Steve (don't worry someone will move you), but yes lots of people use the HV10 for a deck. It supports all frame rates.

Should I open this elsewhere? thanks for any help.
Steve

Pete Bauer April 24th, 2007 02:47 PM

Hi Steve and welcome to DVinfo. Moved this thread over to the XL H1 forum.

If you peruse this and the XH A1/G1 forum, you'll find several existing threads on this topic. The quick summary of those as I understand it (I don't use a separate deck) is that for 60i, you can use a standard deck such as Sony's. Canon HDV F-Modes are progressive and won't be read by a standard 60i deck, so you need to play F-Mode in HDV back on a Canon HDV camera. Here's the current NTSC list:
XL H1 = plays and records 24F and 30F
XH A1 = same
XH G1 = same
HV 20 = records and plays back 24F, plays back 30F
HV 10 = does not record F Mode, plays back 24F and 30F

If you put out component or SDI on an XL or XH, it will go out of the camera at 60i (2:3 pulldown) and AFAIK, you should be able to use a standard 60i deck with the right connections.

Steve Showalter April 24th, 2007 03:08 PM

thanks for putting me in the right place. I have found canon is starting to test some editing decks and 2 sonys will work.
thanks

Daniel Epstein April 24th, 2007 04:43 PM

Which two Sony's will work? Last time I checked Sony HDV decks did not playback Canon HDV 30F and 24F recorded material but did play back Canon 60i recorded HDV

Steve Showalter April 25th, 2007 07:21 AM

You are correct it will not play back in 24, they said 30 would. that is the dilema. the best recomendation is to get the HV 10, sorry still talking out loud. I am weighing the XL H1 vs the sony XR V1, any opinions?
My concern is the editing deck issues and comaptability with final cut.
thanks

Steve Rosen April 25th, 2007 09:21 AM

Steve: There is no issue at all.. I've been using the H1 daily for a year and 4 months - Ive never even turned the switch to SD - and editing native HDV in FCP with a Black Magic card (not needed unless you want an external monitor). Two docs have already been broadcast, another one this coming month - although they're all 60i -

but I've shot lots of 24f and...

FCP handles 24f without incident, in a true 24 frame timeline.. if you want to output it to 60i, you can copy your finished 24p edit and then paste it in a 60i timeline, render and print to tape on any machine, even a Sony.

And get the HV20 as a feeder, because it will also better serve as a backup camera. (or consider an FS-C).

The two cameras you mention (XL H1 vs the sony XR V1) are really apples and oranges.. I'd go for the apples...

Nick Hiltgen April 25th, 2007 09:13 PM

I think there's a hv-10 for sale in the classifieds section of this site right now, if there isn't it can probably be bought on the cheap now that the hv-20 has been released.

Steve Showalter April 26th, 2007 06:12 AM

thanks, that is all encouraging
Steve

Steve Rutherford April 26th, 2007 10:46 AM

Options

Just saw the thread and needed to add a few questions because we're about to get into the HDV arena too... Our biggest concern has been centered around which deck makes the most sense? We will be setting up a couple of HDV edit suites but need decks to make it work that same as our SD/DV suite.

Have any of you used or do you have info on the Sony HVR-1500 or HVR-M25 in terms of capabilities and limitations? And what about the new Focus Enhancements FS-C made for the XL-H1,, looks go on paper, any users? Also, from some responses sounds as if a deck isn't really needed (or is it?) and it also sounds as if there really isn't a deck made to handle ALL the capabilities of the H1,,, any truth to that?

We like the breakdown from Pete Bauer... anyone have a similar breakdown on decks?

Thanks Guys...
Steve Rutherford

Steve Showalter April 26th, 2007 10:52 AM

what I have been told from BH and Canon is a few decks have been "tested and work" the HVR-M25 I belive is one of the ones tested,but 24 fps is not working with it. I am being told 30 and 60 will.
Most are recommending the HV 10 or newer HV20 shich is a hdv camera. BH says that is what the Canon reps are using when they demo the XL H1

Steve Showalter April 26th, 2007 10:55 AM

Xl H1

I have also heard the canon veiw finder is brighter than the footage may appear on edit, one person said by 2 f stops (he stil loves the camera) it has been reommended to use something like a marshall external monitor.

Dan Keaton April 26th, 2007 03:52 PM

Dear Steve,

When your purchase your XL H1, just adjust the monitor (calibrate it).

This is easy and does not take much time, and is a very important step if you are ever going to use the camera without it being connected to a field or production monitor.

This should take less than one hour.

Steve Showalter April 26th, 2007 06:58 PM

Thanks, do you know whereI can get info on this process? you are refering to the eyepiece "monitor", correct?
thanks again