Stop motion with the H1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Stop motion with the H1?

Is there a function on the H1 (or maybe the firestores) that can capture just 1 frame when you push record? I don`t mean taking pictures on the SD card because that would take up ALOT of room, but 1 frame everytime record is pushed so an object can be moved then take a frame, move obj take a frame repeat until it animates as the object is 'alive' and moving on its own
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Use your time lapse function, and move the object in between.

You can always pick the frames you want to use. IE., just set it to record once every second, move your object step out of the scene , go back in move again, then just step back for a second while another shot is done.

You can then just edit the ones you don't want out. Or use every 5 or 10 seconds to give yourself time!

Mike
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Major Player

I`d like to do it in HD if possible though, as the firestore can`t timelapse in HD
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The only way that I can see of doing this with an H1 in HD, is to have the camera tethered to a computer and use some software to capture each individual frame. Doing it this way, would also allow for playback of the already recorded frames, thus letting you check the motion.

Just an idea....
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Trustee

Why wouldn't you want to capture these as stills? Memory cards are cheap and easy to use. I bought a 2 gig SD card a few months back for $19.99.

You would also have the benefit of bypassing HDV compression. If this was timelapse photography you were talking about I could understand wanting it automated. But you are essentially talking about "stop motion photography".

You could also just use a high end DSLR camera too.

Most software can import a sequence of images and treat it as a movie directly so there would be no time lost here either.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:43 AM   #6
Major Player

We do have a 2 gig card, but its formatted for the panasonic camera, and the manual said you have to format the card before use...is this totally true? And even $20, i don`t want to ask them boss for another card, maybe I can convince him I need to wipe the one we have.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders