Console or DV Rack HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 13th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Trustee

Console or DV Rack HD?

I want to be able to hook my hdv camera up to my lap top, mainly for the purpose of monitoring and viewing. I have been using one of my cameras(HV10) , an hd monitor, and speakers,for client presentations, and it's a lot of gear to drag around.
I know that the Canon console software would let me twaek the parameters in my H1, but does it also function as an HD monitor?
Anyone used DV rack, and have any comparisons to Console?
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce, I didn't use DV Rack HD but I confirm that software can't control for you XLH1 you can use this software as recording unit as HDD , I use console software as control unit when our XLH1 be on crane or trace etc.. you can download console software free and use as tray v and you will find all what you ask about, No you can't use console as HD monitor, the quality of LCD laptop not like HD monitor technology.
Mouayed Zabtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Mouoyed,
So what you're saying is-
1- Dv rack CAN be used as an hd monitor on the laptop, but not to control the camera, and
2-Console controls the camera, but doesn't give you an hd monitor.
Is that correct?
Thanks
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #4
Major Player

I believe what he is saying is that a laptop screen is not nearly the same as an HD monitor .... meaning you are using entirely different gamma levels, resolutions, etc when compared to what you would be using a true HD monitor to judge your picture with.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Trustee

What John says is true, but DVRack (now Adobe OnLocation) helps focus and frame the shot. Color is a different animal, too true.
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce ,yes John that’s exactly what I mean about HD monitor, Bruce you have to know also there's delay signal when you use console software 1 or 2 scanned so that’s reason why you should have other monitor on location , the other good thing you will get it from console that you can watch your shot that as play unit through your XLH1 in your true monitor and that can't do with any other software .
Mouayed Zabtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Canon console...and monitoring

I had a go with the trial version (just can't afford/justify the price of the full version).

I'd echo that you need an HD monitor - and I bought an LCD one with component input which actually is really, really good. It's essential to use this alongside the laptop when you're doing adjustments on Canon Console, so you can see the effect on a "proper" TV.
Mark Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #8
New Boot

Which monitor did you go for? Sorry to be nosey - but I need one now with reasonable res, as my 35mm adaptor now sends upside down form my A1, if there is a component one - well that beats the Car TVs that I was considering!
I tried Console - which was nice for being able to change some of the presets, but I am I right in thinking that it doesn't take advantage of the Cineform (Aspect) codec when recording - and just goes to M2T (which I guess you can convert anyway)?
James Cumpsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #9
Trustee

I might have been a little unclear in my original post.The reason why I was considering a lap top with dv rack or console was only for demo ing hdv footage from my camera to potential customers(mainly wedding clients right now). I have been using a 24" gateway hd monitor along with my Canon hv10, a small pair of speakers, and a dvd player(for sd material).This set up is a lot of gear to drag around, and I was thinking that the lap top might be an easier solution.
While shooting, I rely on the XLH1 viewfinder combined with a Swit High res monitor, and this works pretty well. My real question is- how close would the hdv footage comming through the lap top look ,compared to through the gateway?b The lap top is a dell 5100.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders