Century Wide - Corners need Cropping? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #1
Trustee

Century Wide - Corners need Cropping?

I just tried the Century WA .8 for the H1. The corners need to be cropped. Here's a jpeg. I'm supposed to use this again this afternoon, but if I need to crop the images after, then I not sure what the point of using this adapter.

Marty are you out there?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Century Wide - Corners need Cropping?-century-wide.jpg  
Old June 4th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Ken,
I am not sure why you are seeing cropping on the corners but there are a couple of things you should check. One: make sure you have the adapter all the way screwed on. It is a very tight tolerance to avoid vignetting. Two:check out the F stop you are working with. Sometimes issues show up if you are stopped down to a small aperature which don't show up at wider apertures. Try adding the Built in ND.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Trustee

Daniel,

Thanks. I did shoot with it this afternoon. I had my UV filter between the 20x and the .8.

I've now taken it off and it looks to have fixed the prob.

Thanks Again.
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Ken,
Well I am sure the UV filter was the cause. By the way there should be a spacer ring with the Century Wide Angle so you don't actually rub the front of the 20X lens with the back of the Wide Angle.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #5
Trustee

Daniel,

Yeah, I bought it on ebay, but made sure the ring was supplied. It's reassuring to know that that was the problem. I had to slightly crop the stuff I shot today, which kind of defeats the purpose of using a WA adapter, but I think I was still ahead of using the stock 20x.

Thanks again, if you hadn't mentioned the vignetting tolerance, I wouldn't have thought that the UV filter was the prob. Initially, I thought that my lens hood was not on properly, so I took it off and still had the problem.
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Trustee

Just saw this thread and can say that is not normal. I did have a problem one time with the wide angle where I was outside in daylight and I left the auto iris on with no ND filter. The camera stopped down to F16 or something crazy. I could not see it in the viewfinder but there some vignetting on the corners....not like yours where you can physically see the lens shade or filter ring. It was just a soft darkening like an effect.

After engaging the ND filter and letting the iris open up this went away.

Sorry I didn't see this at first....

Good Luck.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders