1080 and 24 f Footage side by side - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old April 26th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #16
Major Player

I'll be glad to....but I have a question...

What format would people want for easy viewing...and reasonable quality ?

Give me a format and bit rate...and I'll make one.
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Kevin

Using 16:9 original footage you could try 500 x 280 1,000Kbps in .flv would be viewable in IE, Firefox, Netscape etc whereas WMV do not show up in Fireox and Netscape.

Thanks.
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana View Post
Andy...

We shoot 24f....then use the Convergent Design box to get it into our Avid Adrenaline. The box takes the firewire out of the H1....and puts the audio(4 channels) and video on a HD-SDI output. It also converts the firewire control signal to a RS422 for the AVID to understand.

In Avid...we use a 1080i (59.94) sequence. Avid doesn't support 24 frame sequences.

The pulldown looks great...and the film look is absolutely perfect.

For the 24f settings...I use the 1/48 shutter.
Kevin, a few questions:

1) Can't you play the HDV tape and capture out of the H1's HD-SDI port? Wouldn't this do the upconversion for you? But there would be no audio; perhaps that's why you're using the Convergent box.

2) Are you saying that you are able to import 24F with a pulldown into Avid as a 59.94 project? I thought Avid couldn't read 24F.

Thanks much. I'm a big fan of Canon and Avid, but not sure how to get them to play nice with each other.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gosley View Post
Hi Kevin

Using 16:9 original footage you could try 500 x 280 1,000Kbps in .flv would be viewable in IE, Firefox, Netscape etc whereas WMV do not show up in Fireox and Netscape.

Thanks.

Dave....I'll make a file like you suggested....and see how well it works for everyone ! Give me a day or so.

Is there another format that is HD friendly...that is large enough for everyone to see these differences ?

Last edited by Kevin Martorana; April 27th, 2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: additional info
Kevin Martorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Kevin, a few questions:

1) Can't you play the HDV tape and capture out of the H1's HD-SDI port? Wouldn't this do the upconversion for you? But there would be no audio; perhaps that's why you're using the Convergent box.

2) Are you saying that you are able to import 24F with a pulldown into Avid as a 59.94 project? I thought Avid couldn't read 24F.

Thanks much. I'm a big fan of Canon and Avid, but not sure how to get them to play nice with each other.

Peter...

We can use the HDSDI port..and capture directly into the Avid Adrenaline.

We set up the Avid as a 1080i 59.94 project.

We shoot 24f on the H1.

You can play out the tape from the H1...directly into the Adrenaline...and capture VIDEO only. You're correct...audio is an issue. You would have to take the RCA outputs into a mixer or directly into the Adrenaline...

The Convergent Design box does two things:

Allows you to control the H1 via the firewire connection

Takes Ch. 1 and Ch.2...and puts them onto the HDSDI signal.
So capturing HDSDI thru their box gives you the audio signals as well.

The Canon H1 is adding the "junk frames" on the 3-2 pulldown, when it plays.
So as far as the Avid is concerned...it's 1080i.

FYI...we also use the Canon HV10 for a playback deck...and it works exactly as I have mentioned above.
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana View Post
Dave....I'll make a file like you suggested....and see how well it works for everyone ! Give me a day or so.

Is there another format that is HD friendly...that is large enough for everyone to see these differences ?
Hi Kevin, you could try the same format - and change the sizing and compression, for example go for a screen siz of 1000 x 560 (again proportion to 16:9) and if you have a CD / DVD setting for compression use that and give it a try. The resultant file will play on screen and the quality will be very good.
Cheers
Dave
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #22
Major Player

Dave,

I have tried compressing this into a .flv file....I've use Sorenson 2 pass VBR,
2500kbps and 480x360 frame size. Looks okay...but not good enough to really see the differences in F mode and i modes.

You can see the compression in the .flv file...so that doesn't help you see what you want to look for.

Anyone else have any suggestions to show this HD footage...? The clip is 9.5 minutes long...the QT out of AVID is 15 gig in size.

I'm using Sorenson Squeeze to do the compression....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders