24f 2:3:3:2 and strange motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

24f 2:3:3:2 and strange motion

I just rented an XL-H1 and this is my first time filming in 24f. I was filming in SD 16:9 24f and noticed that the motion looked sort of jerky through the viewfinder (not like typical 24p). When I pan it's like the camera goes through several frames, pauses and then jerks to catch up. So I went through the menus and changed the mode from 2:3:3:2 to 2:3 -- now the motion looks more like 24p.

My problem: I've recorded a lot of footage in 2:3:3:2 already - how do I import this footage into FCP without it having that strange 'jerking' motion? I know this is 24p vs. 24pA. These two modes look identical in my HVX-200 and DVX-100 so I'm worried that all of my footage is going to look jerky when I import.

Thanks ahead of time!
Daniel Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders