help! simple XL-H1 setup question!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #1
Major Player

help! simple XL-H1 setup question!!

I just got a Firestore FS-C for my H1. Works great manually, but I can't find a "DV Control" or "ext control" setting in the camera's System menu. Are these somewhere else, or am I just not seeing them? (I have looked pretty carefully at the choices.)
Thanks!
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Trustee

I wish I could be of more help but all I can offer you at this moment is a "look again". I do not have my camera in front of me so I can't check but I have seen this option in my cameras menu so I know it is there. It is probably buried 2-3 menus deep or something and that is why you are not seeing it.

Good Luck.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Trustee

Don't have the camera in front of me but what's the next setting on the menu wheel after vtr isn't that an ext. cont setting or something?
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Major Player

The physical wheel on the side of the camera has an ext. control setting, but when it's set to that, I can't even get a menu on the EVF.

I have a hunch that the ext. control setting relates to using Console, and letting the software set iris, focus, etc...whatever it can set. I think the missing DV control is what lets the camera trigger recording on the FS-C.

I'd thought maybe if I kept scrolling down in the System menu, more options would appear. But there's only one screen of them. And I haven't found any indication that DV Control is a submenu item off something else.

I also made sure the Firestore was connected and running, in case the camera could sense whether there was anything to record to.

Is there somewhere on the camera I have to set it to "tapeless" first, since that's how I'm recording?
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Definitely not on the external wheel....that is for remote contorl of the camera via software or something. It also allows the cameras memory card to be accessed via a PC if I am not mistaken....at least it does this on the A1 from what I have read.

I will be home from work in 2 hours and can check on this as soon as I get there. I definitely recall seeing it....but where?
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #6
Trustee

Page 95 of the manual says this:

Open the menu and select system.
Select DV control.
Set it to on.
close the menu.

I then describes how pressing record on the camera will also start record on an external device, etc. etc.

Hope this helps. It shouldn't be hard to find according to the manual but maybe they left something out.

Marty
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Marty, I've looked at that page of the manual several times.

Go to the System menu...that I can do!
Select "DV Control"...it just isn't in the list, or I'm not seeing it.

If someone can check the H1's System menu, what items are before and after "DV Control"? Thanks!
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

DV Control is located in the System 2nd screen between "Char.Rec" and "Iris Dial" if you don't see it, try unplugging your firewire and look again should be there one way or the other

Philip
I just realized something, you're looking for DV Control in the "Vcr Mode" it is not there. Try one of the other modes like TV or Av, you'll find it in the "System" menu in one of those modes.
Bill Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #9
Major Player

Bill, wait a minute! What do you mean 2nd screen? I only saw one screenful of listings. Maybe we're getting somewhere now!

P.S. I had the external dial set to "M" when trying to find it.
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

When in M Manual mode... or any other shooting mode:

Menu > System > Next Page > DV Control > OnDV

The DV connect symbol will appear in the display, far right, below the battery guage.

If you're not seeing the "Next Page" option in the System menu, it's because the camera is in Card recording mode. Switch it to Camera (Tape) recording mode (the little slide switch on the hand grip) -- click on attached pics for clarification. Hope this helps,
Attached Thumbnails
help! simple XL-H1 setup question!!-img_9415.jpg   help! simple XL-H1 setup question!!-img_9418.jpg  

help! simple XL-H1 setup question!!-img_9419.jpg   help! simple XL-H1 setup question!!-img_9421.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #11
Trustee

Sorry I didn't get a chance to check my menu when I was at home last night. We got some bad storms and I got distracted and then I forgot all about it until this morning when I am back in the office away from my H1.

I'm sure Chris will have the answers in a few minutes.
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #12
Major Player

While we're waiting....why does this seem to be the only message board that's worth a damn in terms of actually getting timely responses?

Others, which may be more specifically focused on a problem I'm trying to solve (and shall remain nameless), are more like ghost towns. Lucky to get an answer within a week.

For me, this is THE board to be on!
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

I've edited my post above to include the pics and a solution to your problem -- scroll back up the thread to see it -- hope this helps!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #14
Major Player

Chris, that totally helps!! Thank you so much! I will go and check this out right now.

If the tape/card switch setting for DV Control was mentioned in the manual, I sure didn't see it!
Old June 28th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #15
Major Player

It worked! My only other question is, what happens if you keep DV C on when you don't need it? Sometimes I'll be using the camera with a PC and DV Rack, which I don't think can be triggered by the cam. So would there be any problem if I left it on all the time anyway?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders