Cant afford the x6 will the x3 do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old June 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cant afford the x6 will the x3 do?

I cant afford to buy the x6 wide angle lens for the xlh1, and i know you can use the x3 but will it onl shoot in SD is this correct? will the picture still be good, i have not shot anything in SD on the xlh1.

Any advice appreciated, i need to get 1 asap as my m2 is weeks away.
Andy Lunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #2
Trustee

I cannot personally speak for the 3x as I do not own it. However I use the 16x manual which is technically not designed for HD all the time in HD. Many others have used the 3x and seem pretty happy with it. I am sure it is no where near as sharp and clean as the 6x but it probably produces a darn good image anyway. I was about to buy a 3x lens when the 6x fell into my lap at a price I could not afford to pass up.

Good Luck.

p.s. I did use the 3x on my XL2 and hated it because of backfocus problems that I could not fix. I would have had to send my XL2 and 3x back to Canon and I was in the middle of a shoot and couldn't spare the downtime. With the XL-H1 you will be able to adjust the backfocus inside the camera menu and avoid sending it back to Canon......if you have any issues at all that is.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Major Player

I recently bought a 3x and am going to have to send it to Canon or some lens guy here in Hollywood to see if they can fix the backfocus issue.

Best

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Trustee

Can you elaborate a little? Is the backfocus adjustment on the H1 not working properly? Every other incident I have heard of Backfocus issues has been corrected using this feature.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bromley-Davenport View Post
I recently bought a 3x and am going to have to send it to Canon or some lens guy here in Hollywood to see if they can fix the backfocus issue.

Best

Harry.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lunn View Post
i know you can use the x3 but will it onl shoot in SD is this correct?
Well, you can shoot in the HD mode with the 3x wide angle lens. It seems there is still an old sample at my homepage --www.luontovideo.net -> Special -> the second link from the bottom-- and I guess it's better you make your own conclusions. (This sample was made before I managed to finetune the XL H1 properly.)

What I found was that it is better to keep the aperture as open as possible and to avoid the extremes of the zoom. Still, the image quality towards the corners of the image was not completely satisfactory in my eyes.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #6
Major Player

The HI backfocus works fine when adjusting the 12x manual zoom (black version) but the picture is always a little soft at the widest angle when using the 3x. However, when we use a .75 or .5 wide angle diopter, the focus problem goes away and the image is sharp.

So I want to hunt down a lens guy here in Hollywood to take a look at it.

Best

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

we use 3x lens a fair bit with the h1 - as long as you are carfeull with focus, we do all in manual focus, and very few zooms, it is fine if you are downconverting to sd for final release, unsure if keeping project in hd all thru..
Greg Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lunn View Post

Any advice appreciated, i need to get 1 asap as my m2 is weeks away.
Andy,

You mention that your M2 is weeks away. If you are planning to use a wide angle 35mm lens with this, you should check first. When I researched it, I was led to believe the the 35mm adapters have a 1.9x magnification factor.
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #9
Major Player

The 3X and 6X is two complete different stories IMHO. I've tested the 3X with the H1 once, and I didn't like the combo at all. Way to soft. Save yor money for the 6X!
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri Kettunen View Post
Well, you can shoot in the HD mode with the 3x wide angle lens. It seems there is still an old sample at my homepage --www.luontovideo.net -> Special -> the second link from the bottom-- and I guess it's better you make your own conclusions. (This sample was made before I managed to finetune the XL H1 properly.)
I've used the 3x many times with my H1. I have never been able to use it in HD. Every time I switch it to HD it displays not an HD compatible lens. I'm interested to hear how you managed to get it to work.
Manuel Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #11
Trustee

Maybe I am missing something but doesn't that message just go away after 5-6 seconds? That's how it is with the 16x manual. It is more of a warning that the lens is not "rated" for HD....it should still work. You just need to judge the qualiity for yourself and see if it is acceptable to you.

Peace.
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Coronado View Post
I'm interested to hear how you managed to get it to work.
Manuel, as Marty says just wait a few seconds and the message disappears. It does not prevent you from using the 3x-lens. You'll also get the message if you use the EF-adapter, but again, it will take a few seconds before it disappears.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #13
New Boot

I guess I was mis informed. I always thought that the screen wouldn't change, and I never left it long enough to see what would happen. I had a feeling that it would damage the camera or the lens in some way. Thanks for the info!
Manuel Coronado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders