manual lacks explanation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

manual lacks explanation

Hi,
I am getting to know my XL-H1 and there are a few adjustment I don't quite understand, are there available resources that explain them? The problem is in adjusting the presets.

Example: In the manual under Master Pedestal it explains; "Adjusts master pedestal from -9 to +9."

Where can I find explanations of these adjustments and what they actually do?

Thanks!
Joe Batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If I remember correctly master pedestal effects the shadow
detail or shadow brightness, can't remember. Either way it
is just another preference and something you will just need to
play with to see what you like. It is all about what look you
are going for.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:34 AM   #3
Trustee

Unfortunately Canon assumes that if you are plopping down the big bucks on a camera like this you will know all of these terms. You'd be better to google each one and find articles about them as most are general terms, not specific to the H1 only.

I always get a kick when manuals do this. Here is an example. Your are using an audio editing applicaiton and see a button that says. "wave modulation reverse inhibitor". YOu get out the manual only to find this.

Wave Modulation Reverse Inhibitor: Selecting this option toggle the Wave Modulation Reverese Inhibitor On/Off.

Duh! I see this all the time ( not this exact one as I made it up) and it can get frustrating.

Good Luck.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

This is not directed to any one or to discriminate any one, is just a reality thats happening in this busisness...

That's right...Canon assumes that any body that gets one of this cameras is already a pro.

All pro camera manufactore wont specify whats every switch for...you are suppost to know already.

I seen these alot when any body wants to get to the field without knowlage.
Thats why we go to school and learn the field, and make money out of it too.

Don't get mad! but you should it get an smaller canon version or maybe an older Xl series.

Take care...

God Bless You,

Carlos Quinones
It's Written Productions, LLC.
Carlos Quinones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks Will and Marty,
I guess I was trying to be lazy about getting the info. I appreciate the empathy on the manual matter.
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #6
Trustee

Just to ease your path a little. Master Pedestal is supposed to be the overall black level adjustment. You can use it to lift or crush your black level without changing the balance between the individual channel adjustments. If you set it too low you will lose detail in dark parts of the picture, too high and everything will go gray. Other settings can interact with each other so be careful that you are not adding to one setting to compensate for another setting you have adjusted
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Dear Joe,

Please read the following webpage from the Canon XL H1 mini-stie.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/XL..._control.shtml

Then read all of the other pages one the above site. You will find the information very helpful. Specifically, read all of the downloads and whitepapers.

After reading the above, which explains the information missing from the manual, please feel free to come back and ask more questions.
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #8
Major Player

Well, I'm very new to filmmaking (hence my sig), and I (naturally) found out that buying some books really helps. ;) I can't imagine learning filming just from a camera manual.

I don't want to advertise any particular ones, have a look at Amazon.com
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks

I don't know how I missed that page at the canon website but that's exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't agree more about the book suggestion. It can be tough finding the answer to a very specific question sometimes. Isn't that what makes sites like this one so great?
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #10
Major Player

The real problem here is that Master Pedestal is an archaic thing from the days of SD broadcast television. If one turned it on the mimimum black level was limited to 7.5 (out of 100) IRE units which limited the amount of video power the transmitter could put out. This was done in order to insure that the power at the tip of the sync pulse, the maximum the transmitter could produce, was far enough above the video power level that the receiver's sync circuits could accurately determine the timing of the pulse. -9 to +9 doesn't mean much (to me anyway) in those terms and so we must assume that what is being offered here is the opportunity to set the blackest black to between 0 IRE (-9?) and 7.5 IRE (+9?) in 19 steps. I guess it's cool to be able to do that but why not use IRE units i.e. something pro's would understand rather than this confusing -9 to + 9 thing. Same comment goes for matrix settings. It great that they can be controlled but the numbering scheme is pretty confusing.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders