Short made with XL1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 21st, 2002, 02:51 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hey Joe, isn't this the first person who noticed we had no light to work with?

I agree 100% with you Chris, but unfortunately we were restricted to whatever light we could bounce onto the subject due to various conditions. Oh well.
Bradley Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2002, 03:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Yeah. Gotta get me some lights, man! Chris, did you download one of the MPEG versions? The Quicktimes were artificially brightened a bit so you could see things better, but the MPEGs were not. The DV version was not brightened, either.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2002, 02:47 AM   #18
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Brad Miller : he posted this short in the hopes of getting others to post some of their work. (This is something I am going to start offering on www.film-tech.com in the near future..."user video submissions".) I can tell you that the BEST thing any of us can do to better ourselves as "film" makers is to watch other people's productions and learn from them. -->>>

Interesting..., although I don't agree with the premise, but I'll get to that later.

Sounds like your looking to start an on-line community of video makers that influence each other through their work. Its a nice thought, I know I've dreamed of something similar (not an on-line community, but a small group of people who work together on projects and influence each other...) I've had to conclude through my own efforts that what I wanted wasn't really possible. However, I believe the on-line community you propose is quite possible. It would only take a few people who were dedicated to it to make it work, and you have a much larger pool of candidates on the internet. Let us know when your ready and lets see if there is anybody out there.

Back to your original premise that, "the BEST thing any of us can do to better ourselves as "film" makers is to watch other people's productions and learn from them." I firmly disagree with this point (yes, it does have value not to mention other benefits, don't misunderstand). Other activities will increase the value and quality of our films far more. Such as looking to the other arts for inspiration and exploring uncharted (in the film sense) areas of human endeavor.
Justin Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2002, 09:46 AM   #19
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Joe and Brad,

So which one of you guys had the task of rewinding that tangled mess of film? Bet that cost one of you a few beers to convince the other one to do it.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 04:53 PM   #20
Regular Crew

No one repaired that mess of film. It went straight to the garbage dumpster. Thank goodness for old reject reels that are never picked up by the depot!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2002, 09:32 PM   #21
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

Joe, I'm doing this from memory...I'm downloading a copy of the clip again but it's taking awhile...anyway, wanted to ask you a question on the finger pointing thing (when you point directly into the camera). Is that a fisheye lens...what types of lens' did you use during the filming?
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2002, 09:55 PM   #22
Regular Crew

That was nothing more than the XL1 with it's optional wide angle lens set at maximum. The camera was moved closer to Joe to obtain the exaggerated effect and framing.
Bradley Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2002, 10:00 PM   #23
Registration Incomplete -- contact Admin.

Cool. Good thing to know. I haven't had much experience with that. So pretty much that's what would happen with a Wide Angle Adapter as well. Just have the camera close up.
mdreyes23 is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog