Canon XL1S Accessories suggestions wanted at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 26th, 2003, 12:46 AM   #1
Tourist

Canon XL1S

Hi

Having been using a hire XL1S I am now planning on purchasing one.

Before I order Ive been told that there are some essential add ons which are preferable to buy, battery chargers / lenses / filters etc, can anybody who actually owns and uses the above camera advise me on what would be the most useful accessories to buy.

Incidentally Im a commercial DVD film-maker with my own digital studio, I also enjoy producing nature documentary as a hobby.

regards

Jeff

Jeff E Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 03:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jeff.

Read this article:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article79.php

I use and recomend the LightWave Systems Audio Accessories - The System Isolator and the Mini-Mount.

Regards
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Arnaldo - I'll be getting the mini mount, but I question the need for the Isolator.... I'd like to eliminate the zoom motor noise, does the isolator help at all or will the mini mount be sufficient?
Old May 26th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Andrew.

The Mini-Mount will isolate allmost all motor noises coming from the camera/lens. The Isolator will isolate it even further. But you get two added benefits:

1 - If the viewfinder assembly gets a bump, it will be less prone to break, and transmits less vibration to the camera body.

2 - The camera body will be moved a little to the back, resulting in less nose heavy and more confortable when shoulder mounted.

I hope this helps in your decision.
If you need any more help, drop a line.

Best regards,
Arnaldo Paixao
Old May 26th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
I'll be getting the mini mount, but I question the need for the Isolator
Strangely enough, I see it the other way around. I appreciate the fact that the isolator moves the XL1s back onto the shoulder and reduces motor noise. But it looks like the minimount may obscure the hotshoe. Is the isolator good enough noise reducer on its own?
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #6
Major Player

If your going to use ext mic then one very important add-on is either the MA-200 or Beachtek equivalent XLR connections. I went for the MA-200 in favour of Beachtek as it gave the XL1s better shoulder support, even though thats not perfect in itself, needs a better arch in my opinion to rest better on shoulder as it can make cam slightly slanted if your not careful. And I didnt like the idea of the Beachtek to be attached to the base of the camera, but some prefer that.

But if you want to use XLR mic to XLR imputs then this is a bit of kit u really need. Or if your fine with XLR to mini-jack, then you dont need one.

Of course you can never be short of extra batteries for the camera. I got a 6000mAh from Optex and gives plenty power from that, as the standard canon battery is only round about 3000mAh.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #7
New Boot

I would also get a UV filter (to be left on the camera at all times) as well as a circular polarizer (this will enhance the colour of skies in your nature filming and reduce glare).

I have the MA-100 which I think is fine if you don't need too many XLR inputs (I believe the MA-200 has four as opposed to two)
Nancy Stefanovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:38 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Nigel.

"But it looks like the minimount may obscure the hotshoe."
- It won't since it will be mounted sideways. Take a look a the pictures they have in their site.

"Is the isolator good enough noise reducer on its own?"
- Not in my experience. It will help, but the greatest reduction will be acomplished by the Mini-Mount.

Best regards
Arnaldo Paixao
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks Arnaldo...

...much appreciated. The pictures on the LW site aren't too clear, but your response helps enormously.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:08 AM   #10
Major Player

Glad to be of help.
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog