DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Lenses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/102796-lenses.html)

Dave Robinson September 4th, 2007 07:31 AM

Lenses

Hi all,

I've got an XL1s and have the standard 16x XL Zoom lens.

I'm aware that by purchasing an EF Adaptor I can use Canon EF prime lenses.
What I was wondering is is it possible to attach other lenses? For example Nikkon lenses, would I need an adaptor? Or do they have the same fitting system as the XL lenses.

Cheers,

if anyone has any links they would be much appreciated.

Dave

Mike Teutsch September 4th, 2007 08:16 AM

There are adapters for Nikon lenses too, but may be hard to find right now, as the manufacturer is out of business I think. I have one that I found used on ebay a few of years ago. They are just mounting system adapters and do not allow any of the normal camera or lens functions, like focus or zoom.

Be advised that if you put a 35mm lens on the XL series camera that the image will be zoomed or enlarged by about a 7.2 to 1 factor. In other words, a 100mm lens becomes about a 720mm lens. This is do to the fact that the 35mm lens are generally used to place an image onto a 35mm size sensor not the small size chip in the XL series camera. Great for wildlife and surveillance, but not for normal movie making.

Mike

Dave Robinson September 4th, 2007 08:31 AM

So for run of the mill budget movie stuff would I be best off just sticking to the Stock 16x zoom lens?

I'm just wondering why some companies make such a fuss about being able to use the prime lenses on XL1s. I like being able to do everything manually so I'm looking at getting the 16x manual lens, just wasn't sure if I'd better off with something else.

Mike Teutsch September 4th, 2007 08:41 AM

Dave,

You may be referring to Redrock and other 35mm adapters. That is quite a different subject than just an EF adapter! See the forum below:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=70

These adapters allow the use of a 35mm lens to project an image on to a moving ground glass or plastic surface that is then filmed using camera. These are mainly used to get that very shallow depth of field that is so sought after by those trying to emulate film cameras. The image is softened and much light is lost, but some of the results look quite good.

I'm not sure that you need any of these things, just practice getting the best shots you can and shooting the best story you can find.

Mike

Don Palomaki September 4th, 2007 11:31 AM

>In other words, a 100mm lens becomes about a 720mm lens.<

Or more specifically, the nominal field of view resulting from the 100mm lens on the XL1 is about the same as a 720mm lens would produce on a 35mm still camera.

Mike Teutsch September 4th, 2007 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 739105)
>In other words, a 100mm lens becomes about a 720mm lens.<

Or more specifically, the nominal field of view resulting from the 100mm lens on the XL1 is about the same as a 720mm lens would produce on a 35mm still camera.

You're getting technical on me------Thanks for the help! :)

Mike

Dave Robinson September 5th, 2007 03:37 AM

To be honest Mike i'd not seen the redrock system. As nice as it looks it seems way beyond what I'm after at the moment.

I'm just wondering if I need to be very selective when looking at lenses or will most fit?

I think you're right though about sticking with what I have and practice using it some more.

I've got no complaints with the 16x auto lens except for the fact it doesn't have the little rods on the focus and zoom rings, which would be nice.

Dave

Mike Teutsch September 5th, 2007 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Robinson (Post 739445)
To be honest Mike i'd not seen the redrock system. As nice as it looks it seems way beyond what I'm after at the moment.

I'm just wondering if I need to be very selective when looking at lenses or will most fit?

Ya, I'm sure you don't need a redrock. If the lenses you are talking about are the Canon and Nikon with the adapters, most will fit. Not sure you need them at all though. They are most often used for reaching out and shooting wildlife from a distance. I stuck a cheep 1600mm on my XL1s once and WOW do you reach out, but focus is a bitch and so is keeping it steady, even on a tripod.

Quote:

I think you're right though about sticking with what I have and practice using it some more.
That is the best thing to do. Remember that full length motion pictures have been shot with the XL1s and lesser cameras. It is still a great camera!

Quote:

I've got no complaints with the 16x auto lens except for the fact it doesn't have the little rods on the focus and zoom rings, which would be nice.
The little rods would not do you much good at all. The zoom and focus rings on that lens do not actually move the internal mechanisms. They only give an electrical signal to a servo motor inside than actually moves the elements etc.. So the rods would end up moving all around the lens and never really be in the same place twice. You can turn the ring around and around without stopping, but at the end of the zoom, for example, it just stops doing anything in the lens. And one last note, there is only one servo motor, so you can focus or zoom but not both at once. If you want a neat lens for the camera, look for a 16x manual lens. They are really great and can be had for about $700 used. They are fully manual on iris and zoom, but the zoom can be switched to servo control also! It is a sharp lens. And, it has those neat little rods you like! :)

Have fun!

Mike

Don Palomaki September 5th, 2007 06:45 AM

Quote:

... there is only one servo motor, so you can focus or zoom but not both at once
There are separate zoom and focus servo motors in the standard XL1 lens. The limitation on changing focus while zooming may be due to programming of the lens control system to maintain focus while zooming, arguably the more common requirement for this class of camcorder.