DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   How much is the right price for an xl1s? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/103347-how-much-right-price-xl1s.html)

Alex Sprinkle September 11th, 2007 07:02 PM

How much is the right price for an xl1s?

I'm looking into a few HD cameras right now, but before I can buy one, I have to get rid of my Xl1s and GL2. But from what I've heard, there's no kbb.com for cameras. How do I know how much to ask for it? Just for reference, it has (from what I can gather) about 45 hours on it. It's stock from the factory, so there's no extra stuff. I've checked on ebay, and I'm seeing them list with a 'buy it now' price of about "$2500" ... no one is buying that now, though.

Chris Hurd September 11th, 2007 07:22 PM

Look through the prices that have been posted in our Private Classifieds forum. It's a pretty good gauge.

Josh Bass September 11th, 2007 07:24 PM

Mine was sold last year, and I owned it since 2002, though didn't use it that much for having owned it so long (MAYBE 150 hours). Body and lens, original accessories, no extra stuff, went for $1500.

Alex Sprinkle September 11th, 2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 742843)
Look through the prices that have been posted in our Private Classifieds forum. It's a pretty good gauge.

You're right ... I'm dumb

Michael Pace September 27th, 2007 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Bass (Post 742845)
Mine was sold last year, and I owned it since 2002, though didn't use it that much for having owned it so long (MAYBE 150 hours). Body and lens, original accessories, no extra stuff, went for $1500.

been perusing flea/flee bay w/ the same thoughts in mind: unload the once-killer XL1 package to free up some HD camera upgrade (A1, i'm looking at you) monies. What Josh has found ($1500) is pretty standard these days for a more-than-bare-bones XL1 sale. My summation was to hang on to the XL and just either drool over it sentimentally or wait til i can use it again for a project where i need a kick-ass 3-chip SD 4:3 cam. With an A1 etc in my future i wonder when the XL might ever be used again though.

The other day i took one of the undergrads through our school's old film equipment locker. I showed him with delight the Arri 16M and 16S, the Bolex EBM, and i even found the original Bolex H16 REX 5 i shot my first undergrad film with (it still had a little piece of tape on the door that said "PLUS-X" in my Sharpie handwriting, from the last time (11 years ago) that i shot with it!!). We then pulled out the old war-horse Canon Scoopic 16 and without even thinking twice i hit the firing button-- the decades-old battery had enough juice left to fire the motor for 2 seconds before dying. My student was saucer-eyed at all this hardware-- made me amazed at where some of us came from and how far we've come.

I'd keep the XL, unless yr budget requires that $1500 norm selling income. These are solid, very long-lived tools that might just find another use for you one day. For me it just seems less-drama to hang onto the thing than go through the eBay histrionics of listing, dealing etc. DVi's classifieds are my first court of reference, and i have'nt seen much old XL selling action there at all.