Canon 14x or Fujinon 14x at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 20th, 2002, 04:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon 14x or Fujinon 14x

I have grown tired of the focus problems with the 16x standard lens on my xl-1. I have had it serviced by Canon and within two months it's screwed up again. In manual focus mode I zoom in, set focus, pull back - AND I ACTUALLY CAN SEE THE SHIFT out of focus. So I want a manual lens and my budet is around $1000. Should I go with Canon or go with the Optex converted Fujinon lens?

-Augie
Augustine Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2002, 04:38 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Augie,
I have been using the Canon 14x full-manual lens for about a year and like it very much for many shots. Note, however, that it is completely manual with no servo control options at all (unlike Canon's newer 16x manual lens). Being manual it draws almost no power from the battery, thus boosting you battery life a bit. The lens also seems (to me, at least) to breathe a bit less than the 16x auto lens, if that's important to you.

I can point to only 2 drawbacks. First, it is an external-focus design. The front element rotates with focus necessitating rails for matte boxes. Not a real biggie. Second, the flange back / back focus seems prone to drift just enough (following removal and replacement) to ensure that you have to take time to re-check your back-focus every time you re-mount the lens. Yes, I know that that's just good practice but if you expect to quick-swap lenses during rapid shooting fugettaboutit.

I think that Canon only makes the 16x servo-manual lens today, although you may be able to find the 14x used for about your budget. The newer 16x will run a bit more.

Sorry, I haven't ever seen the Fujinon conversion but it has been discussed here. Use the "Search" function to locate the threads.

Happy hunting!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2002, 07:29 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I actually have the Fuji-Optex conversion, tried to sell it several times and gave up. For its limitations it's a fine lens.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2002, 02:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Chris,
why did you want to sell the Fujinon/Optex 14x manual lens?
do you own other manual lenses?
i'm trying to decide which of the three manual lenses to buy: the canon 16x, the canon 14x, or the f/o 14x.
my main concern is image quality.
thank you.
Jay Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2002, 05:59 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Jay,

> why did you want to sell the Fujinon/Optex 14x manual lens?

Because I wasn't using it much. Better off where it's used, instead of sitting on my shelf.

> do you own other manual lenses?

No.

> i'm trying to decide which of the three manual lenses to buy: my main concern is image quality.

I seriously doubt you would be able to visually discern any difference in image quality between these three lenses.

Old June 23rd, 2002, 10:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks, Chris.
looks like i'll go for the best price, while keeping in mind the other differences between the three lenses...ND filter, rotating front element, electronic communication with the camera, etc.
i still have to sort those out.
i'll definitely be using ND filters when shooting...to force myself and my DP to light the set like we do when we shoot film. i'm not much of a zoomer, so i'm not concerned about what type of zoom controller the lens has. i'll probably want to use other filters, too, starting with the ones that people say give a more appealing "film" look: circular polarizer, black promist 1/8, enhancer. and i definitely want to get the most out of the variety of shutter speeds and aperture settings the XL1 has.
thanks again.
Jay Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 10:24 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Remember, you can use a clamp-on matte box with the 16x manual. Be sure to tell us which way you decide to go,

Old June 24th, 2002, 01:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

black gang coffee

Chris,
i just noticed that your signature doesn't say "black gang coffee" anymore. what is black gang coffee? :-) just curious.
thanks, i'll let you know which lens(es) i get my hands on.
Jay Henderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog