Setup A Viewing Screen ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Setup A Viewing Screen ?

I,m considering setting up some kind of monitor for viewing while shooting sports events does cannon make such a thing for the XL 1 or can you do this by using a portable dvd player with A/V IN and run it through the camera to view? Any ideas? is this good or bad, I would like for it to be mounted on the camera somehow. I'm a Maguyver type guy I think it can be done only worry is on bright days having the ability to see the screen good enough? This is just an idea I had since I saw the local sports news broadcast a game and their camera setup had a monitor mounted on top, and the camera man viewed this while filming.

Last edited by Joe Hanna; October 22nd, 2007 at 02:48 PM.
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Wrangler

There are many small screen LDC monitors on the market for this purpose; e.g.,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...VAVZTFT*&Q=&O=
for a few of the many options available.

To my knowledge Canon does not offer one. This has been the topic of past posts in the early days of the XL1, so search the forums to see what others have done.

And you may want a "Hoodman" http://www.hoodmanusa.com/ or similar hood for better viewing, especially in daylight situations.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Lcd Screen

Thanks Don, I'm looking around for the right one to buy.
Joe Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Maguyver type guy.
Here's what I did. Firstly I purchased a 2.5 inch LCD colour TV off e-bay for £20 (40 US) It came with all the leads you need to hook-up the XL.
I then made a bracket, bent to whatever shape you need using these thin metal angle brackets that you can buy in any hardware store, that slides into the hot-shoe and fixed the screen to it. Making a hood is a doddle using thin, flexible plastic cut to whatever shape you need and attaching it with velcro. 1 hour's work max.
(I have also extended my bracket to take a Pag Light)
Most of the 'experts' on here will tell you that it's impossible to focus using a screen like this. Absolute tosh! I use mine for focusing and it's always spot-on and the screen colour is a perfect match.
The only drawback is the batteries don't last long enough so I bought a cheap re-chargable battery (£10) from Maplin, (Wal-Mart will probably do the same) which I've attached to the battery cover, and I've ended up with an excellent monitor that will power for about 4.5 hours between charges.
All the best, Dave

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog