anyone using nikon 35mm lenses with the XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 8th, 2003, 05:41 PM   #1
New Boot

anyone using nikon 35mm lenses with the XL1s

Hi all. My first post, and the first day owning the XL1S. I'm a pro digital photographer using Nikon lenses and have a great set of them. What decided me on the XL1S was the quality of canon lenses and the possibility of using EOS lenses. I was prepared to buy a few. Browsing this forum, it appears there are adapters for nikon lenses as well, but searching didn't reveal any actual users. I'd be most interested to here if it can happen, if AF is preserved, and if VR (nikon's IS) is prerserved, it sure would be nice to use my nikkors! Thanks.....Peter
Peter Halperin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

there exists a Nikon to XL-1 adaptor. it is mechanical only, so it definitly increases the focal length (i know from a arri pl mount adapter that increases the focal length by 2 - don't know about the Nikon).
take a look here: http://www.virtualcybervision.com/xl1/ADAPTERS.htm
Elmar Tewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Elmar. Actually, I found this site but I'm still not certain about what lenses will work and with what functions. I e-mailed them to get more info. I'll post it here when I get it. Thanks again....Peter
Old June 11th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #4
New Boot

Hi,
I recently bought the XL1>Nikon adaptor and it only works on a purely mechanical level. So no AF or Auto iris functions. I use a 17-35mm 2.8 AFS and a 80-200mm 2.8 AFS lens. Great results if you dont mind the x7.2 magnification factor!!

Hope this helps,

Neill
Neill Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2003, 05:29 PM   #5
New Boot

Also don't forget, there is no image stabalization. So you'll have to keep the cam on a tripod to get your shots.
Cazi Brasga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:43 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks, guys. Here's a funny story. A few days after getting the camera and posting this question, I was off to a conference near Yellowstone....tough luck, huh. so, I was out shooting Elk and geysers and bison, etc, with my D1H and 80-400VR and 70-200 AF-S VR. I come upon 6 or seven shooters with long lenses on big tripods. There waiting for a badger family to come out, (for 5 hours or so). So....what's that I see on a big ol tripod?? a XL-is! This guy has a nikon and 500mm on one pod and the XL on another....and....he has a 80-400VR on it! So I got my question answered in person. He loves the combo, I looked through and saw the ridiculous reach. He had a plate machined to hold the weight off the lens mount. anyway, had to share the story. I still may be tempted to also get a canon adapter and the 100-400 IS to have a stabilized option, but I now know I can use my Nikkors manually. Very cool....Peter
Old June 17th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Regarding this Nikon adapter. Does it work with the EF adapter XL, or instead of the EF adapter XL? The reason I ask, is that the EF adapter XL for using Canon lenses with the XL1-s has glass in it , which has to degrade the image somewhat. If the Nikon adapter is "strictly mechanical" with no glass, then might not the images with Nikkor lenses be better than with Canon lenses?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #8
Major Player

@ Steve: Don't worry about the glass in the EF-Adapter. Almost any EF-lens, but surely all L-Series EF-lenses will give you results that by far exceed what the Canon XL-mount lenses are capable of. I'm quite certain, that this combo provides more detail than the CCDs can resolve. Love it!

HTH,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog