DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1s Stereo 1,2 and dubbing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/10696-xl1s-stereo-1-2-dubbing.html)

Duane Craig June 10th, 2003 11:18 AM

XL1s Stereo 1,2 and dubbing

I'd just like to confirm my understanding of this issue. I have the camera set to Stereo 1,2, and am using the on-cam mike along with a wireless mike plugged into ONE of the XLR jacks on the MA-100. Does this mean I still have ONE channel remaining for post dubbing? Thanks.

Nathan Gifford June 10th, 2003 11:36 AM

When you have the cam in 12 bit audio (stereo 1,2) you have 4 channels of audio. The main channels is where the stock stereo mic is plugged in, plus the 2 sub channels.

Provided your NLE (editing package) supports 4 channel, then you will still have 1 channel left over.

Don Palomaki June 10th, 2003 03:25 PM

Many NLE's allow many channels of audio. They will mix down to the format that is exported according to how you have the pan and mix settings in the NLE and the audio tracks.

On the camcorder the 4 channels come in pairs. You cannot dub to the 4th channel only without effect on the 3rd channel when using the camcorder.

Al Smith June 27th, 2003 03:40 PM

I haven't been able to get the stock mic to work with a XLR mic. I've tried setting to 12 bit audio and still cannot get the XL1 mic to work with an XLR mic. What gives? What exactly do I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks,
Al

Nathan Gifford June 27th, 2003 10:02 PM

There can be several problems.

Problem one is the XLR mic itself. The XL1(S) does not have a balanced input (Sony's PD150 does). You may need to use a audio adapter (MA100, 200, BeachTek, etc) to get balanced audio to work. Some mics require batteries or phantom power so check your mic specs to find out.

Other mics will work with the XL-1. I use a Shure hand mic without adapters.

A number of people have problems because they do not understand what they should have read in the manual (so don't feel like you are the first!). You need to make sure that you are feeding the audio into the correct audio input (Audio 1 [on the handle] or Audio 2 [on the back of the cam]). Then if you are judging the audio through headphones you need to press the audio monitor switch to mix if you want to hear all four channels.

Don Palomaki June 30th, 2003 04:35 PM

How do you have things connected.

To have an external mic work reasonably well with the stock mic, you need to do several things.

1. use 12-bit (4 channel) mode.
2. connect the external mic to the Audiio 2 inputs.
3. Be sure you have the levels set correctly for the Audio 2 input.
4. Be sure that the Audio 1/Mic switch is set to MIC (or MIC ATT).
5. Be sure you have the Audio Monitor setting set to the sources you want to monitor.

Al Smith July 3rd, 2003 09:38 PM

Thanks Don, I got it to work. I was not setting the monitor correctly.

Duane Craig October 1st, 2003 06:47 PM

Followup

Thanks for the answers. I want to add the results of my experience with the MA-100 and wireless mikes.

For some reason the Sennheiser wireless kit comes with a SINGLE XLR connector for the receiver. So, depending upon which XLR connector you plug into on the MA-100, you get the sound coming through the left OR right channel of audio 2. BE SURE YOU PUNCH THE AUDIO MONITOR BUTTON TWICE and have your cam setup to 12bit stereo 1,2.

So, you can get two additional mikes using the MA-100 by plugging each mike into just ONE of the XLR connectors. Of course each of those mikes will be mono, one on the left channel of audio 2 and one on the right channel. I haven't noticed any negative aspects to this configuration, but if someone knows of some, please let me know.

The other thing that I've noticed is that whenever I want to transfer the video to my computer, or playback on a monitor, I have to make sure that I have set the cam to 12bit, stereo 1,2 AND punched the audio monitor buttom twice. Otherwise I don't get all of the sound. This seems to hold true when I'm transferring clips BACK to the camera in order to send to VHS, etc.

Most of you I'm sure know this, but I thought someone new might benefit from the clarification.

Trig Simon October 8th, 2003 08:42 PM

Nathan Gifford

You do have the Audio 1 and Audio 2 backwards, right? Audio 1 is in the back of the camera, Audio 2 is on the handle. Or did I read you wrong.

Trig

Trig Simon October 8th, 2003 08:44 PM

Nathan Gifford

You do have the Audio 1 and Audio 2 backwards, right? Audio 1 is in the back of the camera, Audio 2 is on the handle. Or did I read you wrong.

Trig

Duane Craig October 9th, 2003 10:38 AM

How the mikes are plugged in

Actually, when I referred to the Audio 1 I was referring to the on-board camera mike. I plug the xlr cables from the MA-100 into the audio 2 jacks on the SIDE of the handle.