Optex B4 to XL adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 25th, 2002, 04:51 PM   #1
wildvision

Optex B4 to XL adapter

Is anyone using the Optex B4 to XL adapter which allows you to use a 2/3" broadcast lens on the XL1? I am considering going this route, but would like some feedback from someone who has tried it. I am currently using a 35-350 EOS lens but am frustrated by the difficutly in focusing, and by the fact that you lose focus when you zoom. I'm thinking that a lens like the Fujinon A20x8.6 with a 2x would make a great set-up for shooting wildlife.
Old February 25th, 2002, 09:36 PM   #2
New Boot

Could you give me the url to that I would like to check it out myself. Iheard that you might have to take off your zoom motor and handle to fit it on. That would not be good and even harder to focus.
Tony
Tony Beazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2002, 10:06 PM   #3
wildvision

Yes, the servo would have to be removed so the lens would be manual only. That wouldn't affect focusing, since these lenses are manual focus anyway. The website is http://www.zgc.com/html/canon_xl-1_lens_adapters.html
Old March 11th, 2002, 03:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

re EOS lenses long focal length

To "Wildvision"
For wildlife filming,I am undecided whether to buy the fixed 2.8 L Series 200ml or the 100-400 ml L series. Any way you could help!!( Allowing the extra 200 ml not being a factor.)
Same price here in Australia..$4000.00 Aust.
All the best
Rick Banfield
Phillip Island Aussie
Rick Banfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2002, 09:55 PM   #5
wildvision

wildlife lens

If you're going to have just one lens, I would definitely recommend getting the 100-400mm zoom lens. I use the 35-350mm lens because of the 10x zoom ratio, but I don't think it's as good a lens as the 100-400. I also have a 300mm f2.8 prime lens with extenders that I use in low-light situations. I don't use this lens all that much because I don't like being limited to one focal length. I think it's very important to be able to change focal length whenever needed to tell the whole story that you are trying to record. That's why I chose the 35-350 over the 100-400--to get a much wider field of view, although it's not a wide angle by any means. The drawback to the 35-350 is that it does not give a sharp image at 350mm f5.6. It needs to be at f8 or higher. I understand that the 100-400 will give you a sharp image at 400mm f5.6.

Hope this helps,

Gregg

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog