Maintaining and Cleaning my xl-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 12th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Maintaining and Cleaning my xl-1

I have been reading that you should stick to one type of tape or another. Unfortuently, I've been using Panasonics, TDK and Sony. Is there a procedure I can do to clean the heads of my xl? And do the heads need realligned like the heads on a DAT at certain intervols? Thanks in advance for any advice.............

Bryan Coleman
Old June 13th, 2003, 12:49 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Get and use a miniDV cleaning tape. If you use your camera reasonably heavily and/or professionally it's a good idea to send it to Canon service for a routine cleaning and calibration each year.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 04:22 AM   #3
Wrangler

Maintenance procedures (including head cleaning) are on pages 66-67 of the (NTSC) manual. Sony- and other-brand dry MiniDV cleaning tapes will work OK too.

Because the cleaning process causes aditional wear, Canon suggests do it only when indicated. A tape brand change after a steady diet of another brand is a good time. Frequent changes of tape brands might not require cleaning as often.
Old June 13th, 2003, 02:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

Now that you are sticking to one brand of tape that will help. Sending the camera in once a year for maintenance is also a good idea (it will at least keep the heads aligned).

If you haven't been using 4-track, you can also use any cheap miniDV as a playback deck for those other tapes.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog