DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   do i need a viewfinder right now??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/108021-do-i-need-viewfinder-right-now.html)

Eric Casper November 15th, 2007 08:37 AM

do i need a viewfinder right now???

hello i am a newbie at this so bear with me. i just recently got a hold of the body of a XL1. i dont have much of a budget. i figured i could buy one piece at a time. i assume i will need the lens first. but i am gonna need to see what i am looking at. is it possible to use a 7" LCD monitor and work with that till i can afford a viewfinder?

hmm if so i suspect i would have to find a way to mount it. do they sell mounting kits for that kind of thing?

Chris Hurd November 15th, 2007 09:17 AM

Sure you could do that, but a replacement viewfinder is only $250, making it less expensive than a decent LCD monitor. Plus, you'll have to figure out a way to get power to that monitor whenever you're outdoors and away from an AC outlet.

An even better solution would be to ditch the idea of buying XL1 parts one at a time. It's a ten-year-old camcorder, and for less money than the cost of buying and assembling its separate pieces, you can have a much, much better image from a much newer camcorder, such as a Canon HV20.

Eric Casper November 15th, 2007 09:24 AM

on ebay all of the viewfinders i saw were more than $250. i will keep my eyes peeled tho. the hd20 is nice but i wanted something a little more "prosumer".

Eric Casper November 15th, 2007 09:27 AM

plus i want to learn the craft of a manual lens. next camera i buy will probably be the XHA1. but that i would imagine would be years down the road.

Chris Hurd November 15th, 2007 10:12 AM

Forget Ebay, contact Canon USA at 1-800-OK-CANON and drill down until you get to parts and service. They should have a replacement color EVF for the XL1 or XL1S for about $250.

The white 16x lens that came with your XL1 body is not what you'd call a manual lens. It's actually automatic in nature, even though the focus and zoom control rings around the lens are manipulated by hand. A used GL2 in decent shape will give you pretty much the same thing for about the same money, but a better looking image since it's a couple of generations newer than the XL1.

Eric Casper November 15th, 2007 10:14 AM

thanks i will give em a call and see what they say. i already have the body of the xl1 so i am kinda committed to that right now.

Eric Casper November 15th, 2007 10:15 AM

oh and its just the body. i dont have a lens as of yet. i was looking into getting one of those 14x manual lenses.

Kenneth Johnson November 15th, 2007 10:28 AM

Eric
wait till you start shooting, then you will need a bigger budget. I started with the pd170, went to the xl2 and now have a jvc5100 with fujinon along with 2 still cameras and tooooooo many lens to list. IT IS ADDICTING.

3 video and 2 still cameras. no wonder the wife divorced me. just got a 30 inch monitor. 2 x23 inch apples were not enough. and this started out 2 years ago as a hobby.

Eric Casper November 15th, 2007 10:41 AM

lol. yea i can see how this can get expensive fast. i am just trying to get some of the basics. Camera Body, lens, monitor, tripod. whatever i need to shoot something. we have Avid express DV and final cut(the cheapy version), a ton of hard drive space, and all the time in the world. One of my other hobbies is music, so i have a ton of sound equipment laying around. Another friend is a photographer, so he has a lot of lighting equipment.

A group of friends and i are pitching around ideas for simple short films. something like "12 angry men", "breakfast club", "dial "m" for murder". A little film that only takes place in one or two locations and concentrates on dialog.

Martin D. Smith November 16th, 2007 12:49 AM

Hey Eric
check out my thread "anything worth saving". I have a 16x lens, veiwfinder, etc etc all working great and I want to get rid quickly at a very good price......way better than e bay or canon. Goto raise cash for my new A1
See what you think

Eric Casper November 16th, 2007 07:38 AM

i suspect i am gonna have to wait till christmas before i purchase anything else. if you can email me the prices tho and i can see if i can swing anything now.

Richard Alvarez November 16th, 2007 08:57 AM

Eric,

I suspect Martins' viewfinder from his Camera is PAL and will not work with your NTSC Xl1. The lens, batteries and anything else are good to go though.

Eric Casper November 16th, 2007 09:07 AM

oh yea. hmm, question. the viewfinder's cable that connects to the XL1 body, what kind of connection is that? can anything else fit that or is it proprietary to canon?

Chris Hurd November 16th, 2007 09:44 AM

It's definitely proprietary to Canon.

Eric Casper November 16th, 2007 09:52 AM

go figure. they couldnt use anything normal could they.