XL1Solutions.com XL-1 to Arri PL Adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 22nd, 2003, 04:57 PM   #1
XL1 Solutions

XL1Solutions.com XL-1 to Arri PL Adaptor FILM LOOK!

Dear DVi Community,

I am Barrett Bilotta, president of XL1Solutions. Our company specializes in developing XL-1 mount adaptors that allow the XL-1 camera to accept a large variety of film lenses, enabling the XL-1 user to acquire a “film look”. We are presently featured on XL-1 Watchdog, “What’s New”, NAB 2003 Trade Show.

Our most popular adaptor is the XL-1 to Arriflex PL mount, which allows the XL-1 camera to use all PL mounted film lenses, whether it be 35mm, 16mm or Super 16mm, Cooke, Ziess, or Angenieux. We also have an XL-1 to Nikon adaptor that allows the XL-1 to accept Nikon mounted lenses. Our most recent adaptor is the XL-1 to Canon EF lens adaptor. EOS mounted lenses can be used with the XL-1 but with only a 1.5X- 2X effect, vs. a 7x effect. My company has also developed a mount that allows Russian Konvas and Lomo 35MM motion picture lenses to be used with an Arri PL mount.

In addition to our mounts we sell 15mm rods and base plates built for the XL-1. Also available are complete turnkey XL-1 filmmaker packages. Currently we are working upon an extension viewfinder for the XL-1 camera.

Please see our site http://www.xl1solutions.com where you can view out takes from a Canon commercial shot by Canon USA Inc., using our mount with film lenses. Also you will see sample images shot with Angenieux and Nikon lenses.

Sincerely

Barrett Bilotta
Barrett Bilotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2003, 08:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for posting Barrett, I'm sure there are some people here that didn't know you were around.

Since you're posting here, is there any discount for Watchdog members for your products? Any specials coming up?

Hey, it never hurts to ask. Right ? (G)
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 09:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Barrett,

If at all possible could you explain briefly how you manage to reduce the magnification factor and if there is any effect on image quality?
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 09:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Will there be any solutions for different camera's? such as the dvx100 or the pd150?

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2003, 10:52 AM   #5
XL1 Solutions

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Burnfield : Thanks for posting Barrett, I'm sure there are some people here that didn't know you were around.

Since you're posting here, is there any discount for Watchdog members for your products? Any specials coming up?

Hey, it never hurts to ask. Right ? (G) -->>>

Kevin,
Currently on ebay we have 2 adaptors for $399 vs. $499. Here is the link to that auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2935903470&category=4691&rd=1 However for anyone in the DV community we will offer the XL-1 to Arri PL mount for the same price of $399. Just get in touch with me directly.
Thanks
Barrett
Old June 23rd, 2003, 11:04 AM   #6
XL1 Solutions

<<<-- Originally posted by Adrian Douglas : Barrett,

If at all possible could you explain briefly how you manage to reduce the magnification factor and if there is any effect on image quality? -->>>

Hi Adrian,
Here is a brief summary of the XL-1 to Arri PL mount adaptor. That should answer some of your questions. Also there is no effect on image quality.

The XL-1 to Arriflex Lens Adaptor is a mechanical mount that enables the cinematographer to use Arriflex PL lenses with the Canon XL-1/XLls. It is made of high quality stainless steel and can be used with any Arri PL mounted 35MM motion picture lenses as well as 16MM and super 16MM: Cooke, Zeiss, or Angenieux. The adaptor allows the lens to be seated at the proper distance from the film plane, in the case of the XL-1 the distance from the CCD. It enables the lens to perform well, giving a sharp image. Since the adaptor lets the cinematographer use motion picture lenses made of higher quality glass than video lenses, one can see the difference in the quality of the image.

When using the adaptor with either 16MM or 35MM lenses, the (DOF) depth of field is preserved, and it effectively increases the focal length of the PL mounted lens by 2x. Most DP's agree that having a 2x effect is beneficial because you are using the best part of the lens, the center. In essence, one gets a 2x extender and a PL mount for $495.00. However, since this is a new product, we have not, to date done extensive testing on a variety of lenses. We have not experienced any focus problems or vignetting. We have used the mount with our 35MM Super Speed Optar T1.4 lens and the results were cinematically beautiful.
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Barrett, I think I read something like that on your site though. I'm more interested in how you overcame the problem of CCD size and how that is the major factor influencing the magnification factor.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:06 AM   #8

Hi Barrett,

You are in Waltham, yes? I am in Davis Square, we are neighbors! Iv'e been meaning to touch base with you for some time now, been so distracted though, you know how it gets sometimes.

I'm very impressed with your XL adaptor, had a fun time showing it off in the Canon booth at NAB. I'm going to be in LA for the ETW SHOW this week, again working in the Canon booth. We should meet sometime and compare setups, I'm very interested in using some of your stuff on my next project. I also am very interested in meeting you and talking shop.

What's your favorite lens to use with your XL adaptor? Do you have any suggestions for a wide angle field of view? Do you have any suggestions for an anamorphic solution?

Let's keep in touch, you can also email me directly if you wish. Just very busy here trying to do way too many things today before I fly out tomorrow morning!

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:22 PM   #9
Major Player

you keep me a believer in the XL1 system...

Wow, impressive stuff and fairly affordable.

I have Canon EOS adapter and its frustrating as hell...

and the P+S Teknik or whatever-it's-called is way out of my price range and not avail. to rent here in Toronto...

so your products are a welcome sigh of relief and maybe now I might stick with the XL1 system...

I have a friend who owns a bunch of NIkon lenses that I could probably get to use - very very interesting....

Wonder when Canon will buy you out? Just kidding!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #10
Major Player

Mark, I'm thinking of the Canon EOS adaptor. What do you mean that "it's as frustrating as hell"? Picture quality? Handling? Or other?

Cheers!
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 04:02 PM   #11
Regular Crew

i suppose he means the 7.2X magnification from the adapter. whatever lense do you use, it quite always a telephoto lense
Elmar Tewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #12
Wrangler

Barrett:

I'm intrigued by the PL adaptor and the minimal magnification effect, but I am curious about the field of view differences between a 16mm and 35mm designated lens. For instance, a 16mm format 12mm lens is going to have half the field of view of a 35mm format 12mm lens due to the difference in target size; what would the magnifaction factor be on both lenses when used with your adaptor? As a specific choice (since it is a reasonably priced lens to find used), what would be the equivalent focal length created when using the illustrated 12-120 lens?
Old June 25th, 2003, 02:29 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
i suppose he means the 7.2X magnification from the adapter. whatever lense do you use, it quite always a telephoto lense
I shoot wildlife. So far from being a drawback, the 7.2 magnification would be a boon. If that's what Mark does indeed mean, it wouldn't be a problem for me.

Which is why I asked him for clarification.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #14
XL1 Solutions

<<<-- Originally posted by Adrian Douglas : Thanks Barrett, I think I read something like that on your site though. I'm more interested in how you overcame the problem of CCD size and how that is the major factor influencing the magnification factor. -->>>

Hi Adrian,
Basically people get confused between the difference of a mechanical mount adaptor and a optical adaptor. The chip on the camera reads what the lens sees nothing more. If its a high quality lens its going to see a high quality image. You get the 2x effect because of the distance the lens is being held from the CCDs. Your also getting the center of the lens, the better part.
Thanks
Barrett
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #15
XL1 Solutions

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Berube : Hi Barrett,

You are in Waltham, yes? I am in Davis Square, we are neighbors! Iv'e been meaning to touch base with you for some time now, been so distracted though, you know how it gets sometimes.

I'm very impressed with your XL adaptor, had a fun time showing it off in the Canon booth at NAB. I'm going to be in LA for the ETW SHOW this week, again working in the Canon booth. We should meet sometime and compare setups, I'm very interested in using some of your stuff on my next project. I also am very interested in meeting you and talking shop.

What's your favorite lens to use with your XL adaptor? Do you have any suggestions for a wide angle field of view? Do you have any suggestions for an anamorphic solution?

Let's keep in touch, you can also email me directly if you wish. Just very busy here trying to do way too many things today before I fly out tomorrow morning!

- don -->>>

Hi Don,
I am actually located in Westford just outside of Boston. I would like to talk to you more but I am out of town also. As for an Anamorphic solution I got it! My favorite lens to use with the XL-1 Adaptor is my Super Fast Optar 35mm Film lens. And the Cooke 18mm wide angle fixed prime. For the wide I am using the 18mm Cooke. Keep in touch when you catch up.
Thanks
Barrett
Barrett Bilotta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog