Polarizing Filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 28th, 2002, 10:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Polarizing Filter

Im shooting with the XL1 with a Fujinon Lens. I want to saturate the colors as much as possible. Should I go with a circular polarizer or should i save my money and just buy the linear one.
Old March 1st, 2002, 01:17 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I'd recommend a circular polarizer (CP). It's my understanding that CP's have a coating on the lens-side of the filter that prevents the lens' own polarizing coatings from causing color aberrations when used in combination with the filter.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2002, 05:33 AM   #3
Wrangler

That's news to me. Circular polarizers are designed to avoid issues with camera systems that use beam splitters that polarize the light passing through them, to avoid cross-polarization which can black out the image or fool the internal metering system, both functions of film cameras . Although as I write this, I wonder about the prism that divides the incoming light rays to the 3 chips inside the camera. I've always used a linear polarizer with excellent results with 3 chip cameras though. My preference is the B&W/Schneider True-Pol.
Old March 2nd, 2002, 06:54 AM   #4
Trustee

The problem with using a CP on the Fujinon lens is that the front element rotates so you'll have to change the CP position everytime you zoom or focus.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2002, 11:34 AM   #5
Wrangler

That's a good point Adrian, and true of the linear polarizer as well. It's an excellent argument for using a mattebox with rods in combination with the manual lens to prevent this from happening. Although I understand the front element of the new 16x manual lens doesn't rotate....?
Old March 20th, 2002, 09:29 PM   #6
New Boot

I use one of those "Moose" polarizers on my GL1 - it combines an 81A with a cir pol. Sort of a warming effect. Really cool. Different. Especially nice for colorful foliage, early and late light.
Old March 22nd, 2002, 11:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi all

Somewhere I read that linear polarisers confuse AF systems and that for video circular polarisers are a must. Don't ask me where or when I read this but that's what caused me to go the circular route.

It may have been in one of the Canopus forums.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog