How can I put my Sennheiser ME66 microphone onto my XL1s where the onboard mike is? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 1st, 2002, 01:01 PM   #1
vuduproman

How can I put my Sennheiser ME66 microphone onto my XL1s where the onboard mike is?

How can I put my Sennheiser ME66 microphone onto my XL1s where the onboard mike is?

Is there some type of adapter I need to install?

Gilbert
Old March 1st, 2002, 03:07 PM   #2

I use a piece of neoprene, cut exactly to length so it wraps around the ME66 and clamps in the factory mount. This adds additional isolation from the camera body and works pretty well to isolate zoom motor hum from the mike. At Radio Shack, I bought an XLR to mini 1/4 inch plug adapter and it works like a charm.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2002, 09:23 PM   #3
vuduproman

Where can I find neoprene?

Thanks Bill - Where can I find neoprene? Home Depot, fabric store?

Gilbert
Old March 1st, 2002, 09:24 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Or you can get the LightWave Systems MM-XL1 Mini-Mount, made specifically for this purpose. See the Mini-Mount article on the Watchdog at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm (under Articles Menu > Microphones & Audio).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2002, 09:24 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Or you can get the LightWave Systems MM-XL1 Mini-Mount, made specifically for this purpose. See the MM-XL1 article on the Watchdog at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2002, 09:31 PM   #6

you know those little beer bottle coolers made from neoprene? you can cut up one of those...or get urethane foam from the packing on computer equipment. I think the foam used in upholstery is too low a density....besides, it's an ugly yellow color. I prefer the suave look of black neoprene,,,;-)
Old March 2nd, 2002, 06:53 AM   #7
vuduproman

Thanks

Thank you very much

Gilbert
Old September 21st, 2002, 04:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

More Mini-Mount Method

My mini mount came with the adapter for stock XL1 mic only. I found an even easier means of adapting the slimmer ME66 to the mini.

--Take a clean section of half-inch automotive hose, which you may or may not have sitting 'round the shop ( i did :))-- (if you don't, any parts place will have it)

--slice a'la Madame Bobbit about an inch of hose
--take yr scissors or knife and slice that section in half lengthwise
--you now have two 'shells' (or 2 half-pipes for you skaters out there) that are each about an inch long

place one shell on top of the ME66 barrel where it will reside in the mini mount, and the other one opposite on the bottom of the mic barrel.

Slide the whole affair into position in the mini-mount to your satisfaction-- if using a windscreen on the mic, you must of course allow for this in positioning the mic in the mini-mount.

Gently snug the mini's set screw in and you're done. The mic's not going anywhere, and you've just added even more damping effect to the well-sprung Mini.

I now keep the rubber hose 'shells' in the Sennheiser case so they don't get lost. But if they do, the replacement's cheap...

Happy Hosing,

Michael Pace
Pensacola FL
Michael Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2002, 02:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm thinking that softer is better. What about the foam you cut out of a camera case?
Old September 22nd, 2002, 02:15 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Sure good ol' foam could work, but remember that to compress a larger-cell foam section enough to fit the mini-mount diameter *and* support the mic will take a larger chunk of foam than denser materials like neoprene, racket-handle wrap or my lowly hose require.
I liked the hose approach 'cause with the hose 'spacer' pieces in place on the mic it was nearly the exact diameter of the mini. Once pushed into place the fit was reassuringly solid, but with the 'give' the rubber affords. The mini's set screw was'nt even really necessary, but it adds a little overkill security and keeps the screw in place instead of running around somewhere hiding-- when you need it later for one of the other slip-in Mini-mount adapters (such as the stock XL1 mic needs for MM clamping)

Anything's possible-- just break out the tools, find some likely materials and experiment!

Best,

Michael Pace
Flahrida
Michael Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 02:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Sennheiser makes a mount for ME66

I own an XL1s and I too have gotten rid of the mike that came with the the camera..... and replaced it with the Sennheiser ME 66. However, like you....... I was wondering what I could use to mount the mike on the camera without having to wrap foam etc around my Sennheiser....... I did not want to look unprofessional........

So I checked around and found out that Sennheiser makes a mount that slips into the shoe on top of the camera and tightens using a screw mechanism.......... then you have a ridid platform into which you can slide the Sennheiser ME 66 for a tight and secure fit........... For further details on this, call JAMES BALDWIN at Professional Products (Maryland). Tel: 240-864-4000 as he is the one who helped me with this. His e mail is: JAMESB@ppionline.com

Good luck.

Pepi Singh Khara.
Old September 26th, 2002, 02:07 PM   #12

Re: Sennheiser makes a mount for ME66

<<<-- Originally posted by Pepi Singh Khara :....... I was wondering what I could use to mount the mike on the camera without having to wrap foam etc around my Sennheiser....... I did not want to look unprofessional........

Pepi Singh Khara. -->>>

Oh puhleeeze! In my experience, the "professional" has more googahs and things hanging off his cam than anyone I've ever seen. And the means of holding them on is determined only by how effectively it works. If I am running a fashion parade with my equipment, I'm outa this business.
Old October 5th, 2002, 10:38 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm new at some of these things, but I'm assuming the Sennheiser ME 66 is alot better than the regular mic. What other advantages does the Sennheiser ME 66 ? Does it allow you to hear people speak better during scenes, etc?
Todd Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2002, 07:16 AM   #14
Major Player

Todd, the ME66 is more directional, and doesn't pick up sounds from all around like the stock Canon mic does. So, you'll pick up sounds where the mic is pointing, and not from behind (which the Canon stock mic does)

It's funny everyone is talking about the ME66 all of a sudden, it's slated for purchase in my next order so I'm also finding these little fitment notes interesting. I don't care what it looks like, as long as it picks up better sound! :)

I also do believe lightwave has an equalizer for the ME66, I stumbled across it on ZotzDigital.

For those of you who opted for a mic different than the stock Canon (all of you i think), did you keep the Canon one? Or find absolutely no use for it anymore and sold it?
Old October 6th, 2002, 07:30 AM   #15
Regular Crew

ME 66

If you are shooting documentary with a lot of action and movement....... keep your current canon mike......... if you are shooting drama or documentary style with limited movement but where CRISP AUDIO is important from the subject matter on film.......... then just get the ME 66, a telescopic boom pole, a wind basket, a fuzzy to go around the wind basket, a pistol grip with bands to suspend the ME 66 within the wind basket and you're set.......... plan on spending approx. $1,000 for all this........ but you'll have kick butt sound............ GUARANTEED!!!!!!!!

Contact........ JAMES BALDWIN at Professional Products (Maryland). Tel: 240-864-4000 as he is the one who helped me with this. His e mail is: JAMESB@ppionline.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog