The Movie Look at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 25th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #1
New Boot

The Movie Look

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I could get a decent movie look with the Angenieux 12~120mm w/Auto Iris lens, if I used it on my XL1s. I found one on Ebay for a good price. I have been reading some stuff on the Watchdog website and it says that they are compatible as long as I get the adapter. Will someone tell me which adapter I need? Also, would the Angenieux 25~250mm lens be compatable?
Tyson Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Tyson,

The "Movie Look" is the result of a number of differences between video and film... the least of which is the type of lens. In no particular order, film looks different from video because...

The 35mm (or 70mm) feature film frame is much larger than your ccd's, allowing the lens to create a much shallower depth of field. This is the effect that most people are trying to recreate by setting up far away from a subject, zooming in and using neutral density filters to allow a wider aperture.

Film is shot at 24fps video at 30 (US - nominal). In Europe it is shot at 25 in the pal format, which is why some people shoot PAL video for video to film transfers. This is why the new Panny camera is so "hot", since it shoots at 24p.

Film has more "lattitude"... that is, it has more range when seeing into shadows and highlights.

And finally, and perhaps most importantly, the "look" of a feature film is the result of highly paid cast and crew who spend inordinate ammounts of time and money setting up the lights, camera, makeup, set... you get the picture.

Much can be done with video if you approach it with the same careful attention to detail that a film crew does. Just because your camera can capture an image with the overhead room light on... doesn't mean that you should.

Richard
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 10:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Oh yeah, almost forgot the biggy.

Film has grain... video has noise.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 12:59 AM   #4
New Boot

I know that, but I am shooting a documentary. This is my first project. So as you can see, I can't have a bunch of guys running around with lights and make up for everyone that I film. All I want to know is if these lenses would work on the XL1s.
Tyson Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 10:50 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Tyson

Quote:
All I want to know is if these lenses would work on the XL1s.
They will, if you have the right lens adapter. See this page on the XL1 Watchdog. Of course, you'll be giving up aall forms of automatic control... everything is full manual with this arrangement; zoom, focus, exposure etc. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 11:34 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Chris. I appreciate it. I am beginning to find out that it is better when everything is manual when filming, at least most of the time.
Tyson Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog