dialing down and image stabilization at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 25th, 2003, 11:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

dialing down and image stabilization

i was reading on anothe post about "dialing down" an XL1s to match an older XL1 and i was just wondering what this meant and how to go about doing it?

i was also reading that its best not to have the image stabilizer on while on a tripod. does this hold true for situations where you are moving the camera around alot, perhaps zoomed out all the way. i do alot of events work and i am wondering if i should start turning my stabilizer off.

thanks
annie cheatham
Annie Cheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 11:59 PM   #2
Trustee

"Dailing down" means changing the camera settings, sharpness, saturation, etc, to mathc the image of the original XL1. This is really only necessary if you are doing a multi-camera shoot with both an XL1 and XL1s.

As for your stabilizer, when the camera is mounted on a tripod the stabilizer tries to fight pan and tilt and can produce a lag. It all depends on the tripod/head yopu are using. If you are using a really stable and smooth setup like a Miller DS10 then you should turn off the stabilzer. I use a Manfrotto setup with a 501 head and find that leaving the stabilzer on works better in some situations as it's not the most fluid head around. In the end it comes down to working out what works best for you.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am doing multi-camera shoot with an XL1 and an XL1s. Where can I find the specs to "dial down" the XL1 as well as how to actually change the settings?

I'm also using a Libec M20, which is by no means fluid. Think I should keep the stabilizer on? It hasn't seemed to do any damage thus far.

Annie C
Annie Cheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 04:22 AM   #4
Wrangler

If the footage looks good and meets your needs with the stabilizer on, then use it. If not, turn it off. The issue on a tripod can be a bit of lag at the start of a pan/tilt, and a bit of overshoot at the end of the pan/tilt,m and perhaps a but of rate variatioin during the movement..

As to image matching, let your eyes be the utimate guide. Other camcorders may have slightly different factory settings.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog