Soft focus 16x9 mode XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Soft focus 16x9 mode XL1s

Foa a long time I have avoided using the 16x9 mode on the XL1s. When I have used the mode recently have noticed 16X9 mode softens the clarity of the recorded images. Enough so I am hesitant to use the feature again. It appears the electronic stretching of the image to 16X9 degrades image quality. For those who have used the 16x9 feature, is this normal?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
Foa a long time I have avoided using the 16x9 mode on the XL1s. When I have used the mode recently have noticed 16X9 mode softens the clarity of the recorded images. Enough so I am hesitant to use the feature again. It appears the electronic stretching of the image to 16X9 degrades image quality. For those who have used the 16x9 feature, is this normal?
I haven't used this mode much but it does reduce resolution. These cameras we not designed with 16x9 CCDs as they were extremely expensive then.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Trustee

I shoot 3x4 and letterbox in post. I'm happy with my results.
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
It appears the electronic stretching of the image to 16X9 degrades image quality... is this normal?
Yes, it's normal. You should expect a significant loss of resolution when using this mode.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Technically, vertical resolution is lower in 16x9. Practically, does it matter? These are handheld shots in frame mode using 16x9 aspect ratio on the XL1s. I think they are pretty good for SD.
Attached Thumbnails
Soft focus 16x9 mode XL1s-picture-3.jpg   Soft focus 16x9 mode XL1s-picture-4.jpg  

Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Major Player

I must wonder why it is being said resolution loss is signifcant in 16 x 9 mode.
If you shoot in normal 4 x 3 and turn on the 16 x 9 guides then crop in post you will lose resolution.However shooting in 16:9 effect mode will still use all the pixels both vertical and horizontal and then restretch in post.
On some other cameras the image is simply cropped in camera and all pixels are not used.
A slight lose may occur in the xl1S during the compression and bearing in mind it is still 720 x 480 I find the image very close in resolution to the 4 x 3 image at the same picture width.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog