shooting black & white at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

shooting black & white

Hi

Haven't tried this before but I want to shoot an atmospheric big-sky landscape in black and white in film effect using a Canon xl1s

Should I shoot with the camera set at 16:9 or configure it to 16:9 when I edit it?

Should I adjust ( increase ) the sharpness as a custom preset on the camera
as well as using a higher f stop ( light may not be good )

Any suggestions for filter/s to increase contrast

Cheers

David
David Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:43 AM   #2
New Boot

I would say never shoot in black and white. retain all info and desaturate in post.

It depends what look you want as to sharpness. If you want a film look you want less sharpness not more.

I shoot in 16:9, but some people say not to because you lose 20% (for example) or pixel info BUT BUT BUT if you shoot in 4:3 and crop it to 16:9 in post you still lose (crop) 20%. So Easier to just shoot in 16:9.

I like to slightly overexpose clouds as it gives a nice deep contrast when correcting gamma/curves/brightness etc. NEVER shoot anything too dark under any circumstances.
Austen Mathieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Every time I have shot in 16x9 mode with my XL1s the images always look soft, ever so slightly out of focus. It is really annoying when I want tack sharp images. Maybe it is me, but I have stopped shooting in 16x9.

Has anyone had similar experiences with focus?
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi, Here's a link to a couple of my vids shot on xl1s, two music videos, DARK ENTRIES in 4:3 and FOUND in 16:9, FOUND sharpness fully off or full softness in 16:9 which, yes, does slightly soften the image also but you can see the image isn't too soft, somtimes I add blur to close ups to get even softer images.

The short film SERENDIPITY was NOT shot on xl1s, it was old crappy vhs or something. Ignore that one.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=18086589
Austen Mathieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice guys, think I'll shoot as normal and have a play when editing,
David Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog