Need advice: Hot church lights: will filter help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need advice: Hot church lights: will filter help?

We have stage lights set too bright, and no way to adjust them (the lighting co. didn't install dimmers!) Right now it looks terrible, like a bunch of yard lights shining down onto the stage.

I do everything I can to minimize blowouts, flares and the like, but no matter what I set iris, shutter, gain, etc. it looks terrible.

I heard somewhere that certain filters can 'expand dynamic range' of highlights, by white-balancing through a magenta or green gel.

You can see an example of my situation here:

mms://208.109.210.16/nccvideowin/ncc-02032008.wmv

We're trying to get the lights moved back 15' away from the stage, and somehow dim the lights a bit, without blacking out shadows...

I'm pulling my hair out -- it's either too hot, or nothing onscreen. Until we can fix the lighting, will filters help?

BTW, the video is shot on XL1's, fed via s-video to a Videonics MX100 switcher, and recorded onto a DVD recorder deck. Then I run it through WME for web...so it's been compressed a bit...
Ted Bragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Wrangler

ND filter can help control too bright light. But it effects shadows equally.
Soft contrast filter can help reduce apparent contrast, but there are limits to its usefulness.
Visit for details: http://www.tiffen.com/contrast_filters.htm

There is no good substitute for proper lighting, and video likes a more evenly lit scene than is often used for stage productions due to a constrained dynamic range.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog