XL1s = Eject/ Remove Cassette Message during recording? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1s = Eject/ Remove Cassette Message during recording?

What is the exact problem with Xl1s when “Eject/ Remove Cassette Message” appear during recording? I was encounter problem in middle of recording the event show and forced to remove the cassette for 15-20 minutes to “Cool down” the recording head?

After removing tape for 15 minutes and cleaning head, I was able to record again.

My Xl1s 3 years old now.

Please help and advice
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Andrew, I had same problem some years ago when my xl1s was about 18 months old, had to send it in where they replaced the idler gears, this cured the problem for about 6 months and then problem started occuring again.

Second time it went in they ended up replacing the entire tape transport mechanism (on an 18 month old, hardly used unit) cost was approx £300 GBP.
Not had the problem since...thankfully.

The guy at the service centre intimated to me that they had seen a fair amount of xl1s cameras with similar tape transport issues.

My advice would be to get it checked out.
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Wrangler

Occasionally it can also be caused by binding in the cassette (tape not feeding freely). Suspect this if it only happens with one or two specific cassettes consistently. If it happens with all cassettes, suspect the tape transport mechanism.
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

XL1s usage Life-span?

Thanks guys,
How to know the Life-span period for frequent used xl1s? how many years for replacement?

Thank lots

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog