Heads need Cleaning ! Warning XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 12th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Heads need Cleaning ! Warning XL1S

I've shot with this camera for two years and it seems I can not get 4-5 tapes recorded with footage and this warning comes up. I run a cleaning tape and it don't help at all.

Last spring I sent the camera in for service work because of this and I was told everything looks good, they replaced a belt and cleaned the unit and it took care of it for about 4 more tapes and Bingo its up again and once again a cleaning tape will not cure it.

Is other Canon XL1s users having this problem ?
Adrian J. Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Last spring was about a year ago... and the factory service should be performed on an annual basis... so in my opinion it's what I would call normal wear and tear and you should send it in for service again. The XL1S model is so old now that it's no longer serviced directly at Canon, so you'll need to find a reliable third-party service provider.

I would like to urge all those who are still shooting with the XL1 / XL1S to consider moving on to a newer camcorder model. Due to the extreme age of these models, neither the XL1 nor the XL1S are supported directly by Canon factory service.

You can keep them running by using a third-party repair facility, of course. But they are antiques in the production world these days.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh no!

Well, that settles my quest for it!

At the price it is going at our local auction site, I don't think I can afford to risk buying it, not knowing who at what price can service it. And regular service seems to be a big "To Do with this one.

Back to the drawing board. :-(
Petra Alsbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 03:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Is that right Chris - Canon have washed their hands of a camera that is not-so-very-old? So they wouldn'r service my 10D either? It's like Ford refusing to carry spare parts and service my 2003 car.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Tourist

Send it into Canon service repair. They will still take it, I just triple checked their website and called the Service place near me. Canon will still service your camcorder, atleast that is what I gather from Canon. If you live in an area where B&H Photo is, you can take it there since they too Service the XL1, XL1s :)
Jared DeLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:27 PM   #6
Major Player

What tapes are you using and do you stick to 1 brand/model ?
Do you store the camera in a dry enviroment?
Does the shooting you do involve damp or dusty conditions or temperature change difference( in an arena,etc)?
If you have shot under these conditions, or not stored properly or used multiple tapes it seems( from my experience) that the camera may thereafter give the dreaded warning until cleaned. I send mine in rather than do it my self.
For you likely Canon in Toronto.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Canon have washed their hands of a camera that is not-so-very-old?
By federal law, camcorder manufacturers must provide service and support for seven years past the date that a particular model was discontinued. We have reached that point for the XL1 and GL1. The manufacturer has fulfilled its obligation for end-of-life plus seven years... which is a very long lifetime for anything in the electronics market. This is standard operating procedure for all of the camera companies.

Of course, third-party service outsourcing is still available -- but it's time to let those XL1's go, folks...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog