Time code linked ???? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 10th, 2002, 04:47 PM   #1
Slim Sweatmon

Time code linked ????

I have a shoot coming up where I need to use a two camera set up with two XL1 cameras. Is there a way to link timecode as we do on Betacam set ups?---------Help guys. you are the XL1 Gurus.
Old March 10th, 2002, 06:54 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Sorry, but I don't know of any way to sync timecode on multiple XL1 cameras. (One of the items on our collective wish list for future models is true SMPTE timecode, and all that that means.) To my knowledge it can't be done. I think many folks shooting multi-cam scenes sync their footage with audio pops (my favorite), visual flashes or some other techniques.

Good luck with your shoot.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2002, 07:57 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Confirming Ken's answer; it can't be done with prosumer gear like the XL1. You'll need professional DV cameras, I believe the Sony DSR-300 DVCAM camera has SMPTE timecode with a gen input. You'll have to sync everything up in post, sorry.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 02:51 PM   #4
Major Player

The closest I can come up with is by using your remote wireless contoller wl-2000. If both tapes are at dead zero, you can start both shots simeltaneously. If you look in your manual you can find the part about setting your camera to respond to "1" or "2", so set both to "1" or "2" I did this with my XL-1 and canon zr-10, worked out ok. I think its the closeset that you'll get without going nuts- but than there's probably someone out there with a better idea.

B.Moore
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 03:24 PM   #5

That's a clever solution, B.Moore. Certainly I think it would work pretty well as long as you could start both cams within the field of view of the remote's IR beam. If the cameras are positioned at very different angles...oops.

On this sync matter, if onlly someone would make a radio-based device that could connect to the XL1's LANC port to receive start/stop signals...without precluding the port's use with a controller (like the Varizoom).

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old March 11th, 2002, 03:52 PM   #6
Slim Sweatmon

Linked time codes

Thanks guys. You are great to get back to me so soon. I might just try the remote gimmick, to see how it does.

Thanks again
Old March 12th, 2002, 01:42 PM   #7
Major Player

1) both tapes must be at 00:00:00:00
2) if you have the zr-1000 (zoom remote controller)
with an extention split pigtail, each end going
into each xl-1s linc
3) press shoot

CAUTION: if you use anyother function of zr-1000 it will effect both cameras in the same way i.e. zoom - booth zoom etc.

at this point, you can use your wireless remote to focus each one coded differently camera 1 wireless 1; then camera 2 wireless coded with the #2

CAUTION: focusing by remote can be difficult

Note to Ken T. Unfortunately I'm too left brained for my own good, I try this stuff all the time!
B. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2002, 02:18 PM   #8

Very cool, B.Moore.

I don't even want to know what your garage door opener looks like ;-) .

Old March 12th, 2002, 02:58 PM   #9
Slim Sweatmon

Linked time codes

This is so great!!!! I wonder if Griffith and Chaplain started like this?------I think innovation is what makes this stuff so fascinating. When you guys look for ways to do what the big boys say can't be done, it's the Orsen Welles gene, kicking in. -----Thanks guys.----I love this.--------Rosebud!!!!
Old March 12th, 2002, 05:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Slim, in your original post you indicated you would be using two XL1 cameras so this will likely not apply. But if at least one of the units is an XL1S, you could link them with a DV cable and enable DV Control in the System Menu. See page 65 of XL1S users manual for details.
Old March 12th, 2002, 09:33 PM   #11
Slim Sweatmon

linked timecodes

Thanks Ed, but both of these are three year old XL1 cameras. We use what we have got---don't you know. I hope to get a shot at an XL1s before I am forced to move up to the bigger boys. I will keep tha in mind.

Thanks again.
Old March 12th, 2002, 11:31 PM   #12
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ed Frazier : Slim, in your original post you indicated you would be using two XL1 cameras so this will likely not apply. But if at least one of the units is an XL1S, you could link them with a DV cable and enable DV Control in the System Menu. See page 65 of XL1S users manual for details. -->>>

Ed,

If you do that won't you be feeding the same video to the two cameras? That actually occured to me but I haven't tried it out thinking the firewire would be feeding the video and audio from one camera (the XL-1s) to the other (the XL-1). Correct me if I'm wrong because it wrong, this method can certainly be of use.
Old March 13th, 2002, 01:31 AM   #13
Major Player

You're probably correct Ozzie. I just read the users manual again and it is not clear, but it makes sense that it would work as you suggest.
Old March 15th, 2002, 06:20 PM   #14
Quantum Productions

I mostly shoot weddings and sometimes use 2 XL1 cameras for the shoot. I wave at my other camera operator or tell them when to start just before a ceremony is about to begin.Sometimes I put my hand over the lens as well as the other operator for a starting point! At the reception I use 2 cameras only at the speeches (I hate those speeches inbetween multiple meals!).Of course we always leave the 2 cameras running until it's finished regardless if there is long pauses. Anyway I can only rely on a sound or a camera flash as a sync point. 1 camera is used for the close ups and the other for safe wide shots or shots the other camera can't get. After capturing these sections in the computer I have to do alot of scrubbing back and forth with the clips to get them in sync. A bit of a pain! I would rather get a video switcher and do a live switching on the spot! (of course I would still record with a tape just in case!).
2 cameras during live events (Ceremonies/speeches) does look good and make it not so boring but it is more work. At a wedding you don't really have time to start tapes at zero all the time so you have to rely on your editing latter.

I'd rather sit outside in a van with a switcher connected to a few cameras from the inside and control everything. Plus I could have a beer! :)
Old March 15th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #15
Slim Sweatmon

linked time codes

Thanks Adam. The more I hear, the more I learn. ----The beer idea appeals to me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog