Color LCD viewfinder - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 09:55 AM   #241
Tourist

XL1S Viefinder Problems

I posted this question earlier in another forum and probably didn't get read by anyone who could help. My problem is; the viewfinder will not display an image, it just displays a white field with vertical blue lines. I can connect to a monitor and see and record what I am looking at but can not get a picture in the viewfinder. This tells me that the problem must be in the viewfinder itself and not elsewhere in the camera. Am I correct?
There isn't anyone around that has a XL1 so I can't swap viewfinders to to verify that it is in the viewfinder. Is this a common problem and does anyone know what to check and a fix short of replacing the viewfinder?
Fred Purdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM   #242
Wrangler

First case I've read about an EVF problem like this.
The EVF has a number of different circuits from the analog outputs. They are both in the EVF and in the body.
Check to be sure the plug is in fully.
It is possible that a ribbon cable has worked loose inside the machine.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM   #243
Inner Circle

Hi Fred..............

Just dug out my trusty mothballed XL1s to double check a couple of things, so, here goes...............

1. Remove the EVF plug from it's socket and check all 12 pins in the plug are present and straight. They are very easily damaged. If ok, replace firmly into socket.

2. Power up the camera. On the LHS lens housing module you'll find the "EVF Display"/ "On/ Off" button. Whilst checking the viewfinder screen, press this repeatedly - does the picture change? It scrolls through about 4 or 5 differnt options then returns to wherever it was.

3. Below the above mentioned button you'll find the "DE/ Bars / Select" and "On/ Off" buttons.

Press the D.E./ Bars Select" button once. This will put the camera into "colour bar" mode".

Press the "On/ Off button once. You should now have digitaly produced colour bars in the EVF.

If you now have bars, there is a problem with the camera internally. If all the above produces nothing it could be anywhere.

4. Last but not least: Flip the EVF up and over so you have access to the underside. You'll see a release switch on the LHS to release the lens housing, and a rubber bung on the RHS with a triangular "lightning" mark above it.

Remove the rubber bung and, using a NON METALIC (GOTTIT?) slot driver, rotate the enclosed potentiometer to the full extreme of anti, then clockwise, all the while keeping an eye on what the EVF is doing (does require some contortions but can be done).

It is possible this has been turned up to max or min and thus rendered the EVF unusable.

Best I can do I'm afraid.

CS

PS. Whatever the above turns up, the way forward, given the age of the XL1s (if you wish to keep using one) is not to get it repaired (not sure if Canon is still doing them anyway) but to buy another system S/H. They are coming onto the market in increasing numbers and are pretty cheap. Just cobble the best system you can from the two and away you go. I would do so with mine if I hadn't gone completely HD.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; February 23rd, 2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Addition
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:46 PM   #244
Wrangler

If you can find the pinouts, you can run the video to another monitor. This was not all that uncommon when some videographers did not like the low resolution EVF.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #245
New Boot

Pixelated Viewfinder - Help

I have a Canon XL1s and the screen in the viewfinder has become progressively more pixelated. It is now to the point that the viewfinder is worthless. What is the cause/ best fix?

Many Thanks.
Stanley Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #246
Inner Circle

Hi Stanley............

Unless the cable/ plug have partially un-seated or has a bent pin, I can't really tell you the cause.

Your best plan of attack is to borrow another XL1/ s and see if that viewfinder works on your camera.

If it does, you have a sick viewfinder.

If it doesn't, you have sick camera internals.

I suppose you could try Canon but think they might just show you the door.

There's plenty of second hand A1/s's knocking about, you could try buying one for parts and build one good one from two duds.

You probably haven't got a high enough post count to be able to access the "For Sale" forum here, but you could always ask in this thread and see if you get a bite.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog