Color LCD viewfinder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 6th, 2002, 08:14 AM   #16
Monkeplonk

Viewfinder

Does anyone know how to release the XL1 viewfinder?
Old March 6th, 2002, 09:57 AM   #17
RED Code Chef

It is in the manual. But you unscrew the viewfinder assembly
with the big "screw/wheel" thingy. Then unplug the cable and
slide the whole unit off (disconnect the micophone first)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2002, 11:42 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Push the EVF assembly off the end of the mounting rail with firm but gentle pressure. There's a detent to hold it in place; you just need to delicately push the EVF over that detent to take it off. Firmly but gently is the key.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2002, 11:57 AM   #19
Monkeplonk

Thanks guys!
Old March 11th, 2002, 08:22 AM   #20
Regular Crew

color viewfinder

I've never used a color viewfinder. I'm curious as to whether people find it helpful or distracting. I've heard that it's not as crisp or contrasty as most B&W viewfinders?

Thanks.
fargograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2002, 07:03 PM   #21
Major Player

With the color viewfinder, you're seeing a small LCD display, with the resultant pixel limitations. The B&W viewfinder is basically a small TV, with a larger screen than the color viewfinder. The B&W is clearer and better for critical focusing, albeit at a *much* higher price. For work on sticks, a color LCD display like the Varizoom is a good compromise.
Old March 11th, 2002, 10:44 PM   #22
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I second Vic's remarks. I have both the color lcd and the b&w viewfinder. Here's my take, in brief, on each.

B&W:
- All the accuracy and adjustability that you'd expect on a pro cam's viewfinder. (It actually is a pro viewfinder made by Ikegami.)
- Displays the entire image.
- Sucks power like a hungry calf. Can reduce your battery capacity by 1/3.
- Confounds the XL1s' battery level indicator.

Color LCD:
- Lighter weight.
- Low impact on battery performance.
- Underscans the true image (rather dramatically).
- Not really as tough to focus with as some reports suggest.
- Good for handheld, auto-focus work.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2002, 06:12 PM   #23
Machinist Mate

If I had to choose just one, I think I'd stick with the color...for the abovementioned reasons so eloquently laid out, plus when I used to shoot with a B/W VF (on a S-VHS analog cam) I lived in constant fear that my white balance would be or get out of whack. It is comforting to peer through the Canon stock VF and see that all is still well (and even better, if you want to go quick and dirty, and play with the W/B by eyeballing it, you can get reasonably close with it.)
Old April 4th, 2002, 07:35 AM   #24
New Boot

Viewfinder attachment cord

I am a user of the Lightwave System Isolator (great item). The one thing that did make me uneasy was the strain put on the veiwfinder connector. Still no problems, but I can see the day will come. Has anyone every had a break there? Any sugestions and/or tips?

Fitz
John Fitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2002, 08:13 AM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

It does seem to stretch that cable to its limits, but I haven't yet heard from anyone who claims a malfunction as a result. I recall speaking to Leslie about a year before he died, how he told me how hard he worked on that design to get every last millimeter of extension possible without over-stressing that cable. He was well aware that he was stretching it just short of its limits. It would be nice to have a short extension available from Canon USA.

P.S. -- Yes, I *have* heard of one breaking, see Adam Wakely's post below. I had forgotten about that!

Last edited by Chris Hurd; April 5th, 2002 at 08:13 AM.
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2002, 09:15 AM   #26

Just think of the possibilities. With a long coil cord and a helmet mount.....well, that would look close to a Borg appendage, don't ya think?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2002, 10:29 AM   #27
Wrangler

Here's an obscure one--by any chance has anyone heard of an extension for the B&W viewfinder? I'm guessing the connector on the end of it is an Ikegami setup, which means it probably shows up on other of their viewfinder assemblies. Anyone?
Old April 5th, 2002, 02:35 AM   #28
Quantum Productions

Mine broke!!

Please read my previous post...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=783
Old May 29th, 2002, 02:36 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Canon no longer replacing thier viewfinders?

I read on Watchdog many moons ago that Canon would replace their wimpy viewfinders that were prone to pixel burn, with a more substantial one. I've had pixel burn on mine for about a year but havn't been able to find down time long enough to send it to Canon for a replacement.

Now that I've the time, Canon is saying they don't know of any agreement to replace the viewfinder for no charge.

Any suggestions what to do??????????????
thanks,
Bryan
Old May 29th, 2002, 02:51 PM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Bryan,

The EVF replacement program was limited to only those cameras manufactured April 1998 or earlier. The program was in effect for one year and expired in April 1999. This was supposed to give everyone who had an April 98 camera (or earlier) enough time to get the fix.

Since then, the XL1 and XL1S color viewfinders have been built differently to prevent the sunburn problem that would occur within only a few minutes of direct exposure to the sun. Although the endurance of the viewfinder is much better than the early cameras, direct sunlight should still be completely avoided as stated on the yellow warning label on each viewfinder.

If your XL1 was manufactured after April 1998, then you may be looking at paying for the cost of the repair or replacement. However if your camera is dated April 1998 or earlier and still has the old, larger-diameter eyecup opening, then you might try asking them if they'll replace it. Good luck,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog