DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   What is My XL1 worth? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/122834-what-my-xl1-worth.html)

Anthony Marotti May 31st, 2008 02:56 PM

What is My XL1 worth?

Hello All,

I have a couple of Canons and I want to lighten my load. I never use them, although I am impressed with them. The fact is that i use DPs on my shoots and most have their own gear.

I have to keep in mind the costs if I decide to replace this camera once I sell it, but here's the scoop.

I have had this camera since new... maybe 2004. I have about 30 or so hours on it. It is absolutely immaculate and works perfectly. I am totally anal about taking care of my gear and I don't let anyone eat, drink, or smoke anywhere close to it.

So it's at least as good as new.

What do you think I could get for it??

Thanks!

PS I might bundle it with a good tripod and head (501) and a soft 3 point light kit (scoop) for a little more.

Les Wilson June 8th, 2008 06:33 PM

Go on eBay and do a search for the same camera. Then click the "Completed Listings" box and press the search. The listings that sold have the selling price in green. Those that did not sell are in red. The green is basically what the camera is selling for.

Anthony Marotti June 9th, 2008 05:31 AM

Thanks for that!

I can see that the value of the camera in the eBay marketplace can be established this way, but do you think that this carries over to other sales outlets?

Thanks Again !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest House (Post 890118)
Go on eBay and do a search for the same camera. Then click the "Completed Listings" box and press the search. The listings that sold have the selling price in green. Those that did not sell are in red. The green is basically what the camera is selling for.

Les Wilson June 9th, 2008 06:36 AM

I can't say. I know B&H carries used equipment and my observation is that prices on eBay are lower than B&H which makes sense since they have to mark it up to make some kind of profit which means they'd be giving you less so.....

Joe Hanna June 9th, 2008 01:11 PM

B&H Will give you anywhere between $900.00 and $1100.00 I would say. I was offered 900.00 for mine rated at a 9. I ended up selling on e-bay which it sold for $1175.00.

One thing to consider, ebay fees, paypal fees, and dealing with the over all hassel of selling on e-bay. I do not sell much or buy on e-bay so I had a low feed back of 5 with 100% positive, but with a unit price of over $1000.00 buyers are a little weary of purchasing. If you have or know of anyone that sells a lot and has many feedbacks your odds are better at getting more for your camera.

As for this site most members here don't have much use for the xl-1 since it's an older camera. I have found that it is considered outdated. Graigs list or Craigs list whatever it's called is a little risky at best from what I've heard.

good luck

Anthony Marotti June 28th, 2008 08:22 AM

Thanks Guys, Good Info!

Alex Sprinkle June 30th, 2008 03:47 PM

I sold my XL1s a few months ago on amazon.com. If you haven't sold anything with them before, it'll take 45 days of waiting while they hold your money. BUT I tried selling on this board and CL, and got as low as $1300 I think. I sold it on amazon for $1900.

Lesson learned: Never buy a camera from amazon. Only sell on there.