Question about the gain at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 27th, 2003, 04:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Question about the gain

Greetings. I shoot on a Canon XL-1, and would like to know more about the electronic in camera gain feature. I only shoot in manual mode, and try not to let the camera do anything. I run the white balance on locked manual, and take the gain off of auto. Here is my question; the other day, I was shooting outside, and I had forgotten that I had locked the gain at +12 db. When I watched the footage, the colors seemed washed out. The scene wasn’t particularly over exposed, and the colors just did not seem extremely vibrant. Could using the electronic gain be responsible for this sacrifice in color saturation? I have decided to use the gain only for shots in low light conditions, and on a case-by-case basis from now on.

Thanks.
Old July 28th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #2

sounds like you saturated the CCD. Too much light..too much gain and the camera was unable to compensate.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Avoid using auto DB. This has caused me more headache then anything else. I try to keep the XL1s at zero DB and I make sure that I only use extra DB if absolutly necessary. When you add extra db it can introduce artifacting or a unclean looking image. So best to use external lighting versus using the DB.
BJ Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 12:41 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

-3 is even better.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 07:40 PM   #5
Wrangler

Runing at +12 dB gain will force you to set the aperture and shutter to provide what is effective low light to the CCD, causing all the kinds of limitations found with low light situations such as increased grain, potentially low saturation in some colors, less effective white balance, poor autofocus response, and perhaps a funny grayscale curve.
Old July 29th, 2003, 02:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yeah. I have been getting much better results with setting the dB levels on a case by case, and as-needed basis. I never use the automatic setting. Thanks for the replies.
Old August 1st, 2003, 09:45 AM   #7
Major Player

About that grayscale curve...

Don: that's interesting! Why should the grayscale curve differ at +12 Db (if you compensate for exposure in other ways, such as ND filter)? Does the circuitry of the gain settings do anything else but simply amplify the signal? Do you know of any characteristical curves for the XL-1(s) / at various gain settings?

Thanks!

Dan.
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:53 PM   #8
Wrangler

Because when the light reaching the CCD gets very low the output may not be linear.

I've not seen any curves specifically for the XL1.
Old August 11th, 2003, 06:06 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

I'll shoot at -3 or 0 db. If I need more I start looking at other
settings or add light [if possible]. If you start to add gain you'll
notice it very quickly in the resulting image [in my opinion].

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #10
Major Player

In my opinion it all depends.
It's like a grainy b & w photo: it can even add to the atmosphere. Also, if shooting a unique event, in my opinion content goes over form and I'll watch a lower image quality + great content video over a great image quality + poor content video any time. Of course the best is to have both optimal.
I've often cranked up to +12 and have not yet been sorry I did.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog