I need help with audio output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 29th, 2003, 04:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

I need help with audio output

I have recorded video and audio using Sennheiser radio mics using the Stereo 2 setting - ie the onboard mic and then the radio mics connected to Audio 2.
I now want to capture the video using Pinnacle Edition software and FireWire. The problem is that I can capture either Stereo 1 sound or Stereo 2 sound but not both as I have recorded it. There is a setting in Edtion which "enables channel 3 and 4" but with this enabled, Stereo 1 is disabled and does not capture at all. Stereo 2 sound then captures correctly at full volume.
How do I capture via FireWire to have all 4 tracks available?? Urgent help will be appreciated!!
Ewald
Ewald Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 10:34 AM   #2
Wrangler

You may not be able to capture all 4-tracks simultaneously on a Windows machine (probably OK on Mac).

I am not familar with your NLE package. Normally, you just capture the pairs of track (Stereo 1 and then Stereo 2). Then you mix the tracks to the main track and output to the camcorder. At least that's what I do with CS.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Nathan, but that seems a hassle doesn't it? What if I in future record using stereo 1 ie. using the onboard mic and the radio mics on Audio 1. I know that when using Audio 1, the onboard mic is cut out, but if using headphones (like one usually does), it should be possible to switch between the onboard mic and the radio mics.
Again, Canon seems to be "different". I know of someone with a Sony PD100 who uses the same editing software as I do, and he captures all 4 tracks. Some of the tracks will then be empty, which he just deletes.
Thanks for your input.
Ewald
Ewald Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #4
Wrangler

Some NLE's can capture all four channels in one pass, many cannot. I do not know about the Pinnacle products. It is not a Windows vs. MAC thing, it relates to the capture drivers of the software you have.

What some people do is capture the Audio 2 using analog Audio 2 output using their sound card and then sync in post.
Old August 5th, 2003, 11:53 AM   #5
Major Player

Scenalyzer works real well for capturing 4 tracks...cheap too!....
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog