Firewire/ Audio Mix at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 13th, 2002, 12:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Firewire/ Audio Mix

Hi, when i use the firewire cable staight to my Editing Deck, I can only hear the sound from the original track, on the recording monitor. Even though the Audio mix is fine through the Camera headphones. When i don't use the firewire lead, and use the other leads the mix is there.
Can someone please tell me what i'm doing wrong?
Mike Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2002, 12:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

P.S. i've tried different Editing Decks, and it's still the same. Mike.
Old March 13th, 2002, 07:11 PM   #3
Wrangler

Are you speaking of 4-channel audio from the XL1? If so your problem is probably a limitation of the VCR.

It receives the 4 separate channels as four separate signals over the firewire. This is good because you can adjust the mix in post. The head phone putput and analog output of the XL1 does allow mixing the channels in the camcorder.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2002, 04:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi, i'm using 12 bit St.1-2 . 4 channels, i've tried using both the Casablanca and Panasonic E-20 DVD recorder linked to the XL1S, using the firewire, can't mix at all. Seems since i can mix o.k. using analog, there must be some sort of conflict using firewire.
Old March 14th, 2002, 05:21 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

<< removed >>

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors

Last edited by Rob Lohman; March 14th, 2002 at 10:28 AM.
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2002, 05:13 PM   #6
Wrangler

The problem is the capability of the VCR or capture devices you are using. The XL1 does send all four channels out the firewire, and many (but not all) capture devices can grab all four channels. I have no problem capturing all four channels of audio with my NLE, an I can paly/mix all four channels in a Sony DHR-1000 VCR. I have not tried the Panasonic or Cassy.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2002, 06:44 PM   #7
Quantum Productions

It's the same with my DV Raptor capture card. I can only capture audio 1 & 2 but not 3 &4! I wish there was a softwear update made so I could capture all 4 tracks considering they're there! :(

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog