Hypothetical XL2 debate over flip-out LCD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 2nd, 2003, 12:02 AM   #16
Skyonic New York

i think this thread proves that one cam can't be all things to all people, and if it attempts that it will fail on all accounts, i like that the xl1 is the only prosumer cam without an lcd (other then the one in eye piece)...

i also agree with Chris that xl1 body style will not change much, i have grown to love the xl1 and it's for saken comfort, so i doubt the xl2 will have one

with that said, it is much easier to frame shots in a gl1, gl2 using the lcd then the eyepiece, unlike the xl1, that may be why it's a sore point with folks that use those cams...

finally an lcd does come in handy, very handy, like shooting around corners, over bushes, and all the other wired places me and my gl1 ended up, handy enough to let go of this add on in an xl2, well that is the question...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2003, 12:15 AM   #17
Warden

You're exactly right, Robert. No camera, car, house, computer etc. can be all things to all people. Myself, I would never consider the XL1 to be a run and gun outfit. It's too big and bulky to be really effective. The whole style and configuration of the XL1 does not lend itself to a LCD screen (despite the lack of physical space to put a LCD screen). I would rather see the dollars spent on other features.

While I certainly understand and appreciate Virginia's comments, I just don't see it happening.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 07:53 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

I've always thought that if you want an XL1S with a flip-out LCD, then you really need a GL2. The GL2 is basically an XL1S with a flip-out LCD. Otherwise, add *any third-party LCD* you want to your XL1S.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 09:11 PM   #19
Regular Crew

XL2 release?

I have met a canon tech guy here in japan, asked him whne the next cam would be coming out.
He says, "due to the agreement of Sony canon panasonic jvc, a newer uniform DV format 30i, 24p etc. , (relaseased a month ago?) if we were to release a newer model, we would want to add this format in it as well. This could take a whille to impliment. "
Sounds like it will come with 24P. huh.
It sounded as if it was coming out soon, but got delayed from this. How long does it take to modifiy stuff like that on a camera? Anyone know?
Not anytime soon I think.
Takeshi
Takeshi Fukushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:14 PM   #20
Wrangler

I always remember one of Chris' Real Audio files where he interviewed someone from Canon years ago. In that interview Canon said that the XL2 would likely be HD. I am beginning to wonder if that has been in the plans for a number of years...

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog