DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Headphone Levels (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/1272-headphone-levels.html)

ASTRiDMan March 14th, 2002 04:21 PM

Headphone Levels

We've been using our ME-66 plugged through the MA-100 (we quickly realized that you can easily overload this combination but that's a whole other thread) and with the audio level just tickling
-6db on the meters and the headphone level turned all the way up, the actual level in the headphones is IMHO _desperately_ quiet. We spared no expense (about $185) on a recent set of AKG headphones, so I'm pretty sure they're no the problem.

We have considered a field mixer but at this point $800+ for a no-foolin-around mixer is a bit much for our budget.

Any suggestions?

Don Palomaki March 14th, 2002 05:09 PM

Check the sensitivity of your head phones relative to the head phone jack output levels.

If the levels recorded on tape are proper, then what you may need is a modest cost headphone amplifier, or perhaps some lower cost but higher sensitivity head phones.

Some AKG modes have as much as 10 dB lower output for the same inut power than models like the ever popular Sony MDR-7506, and because the AKG may have have as much as 4x input impedance, they need a 2x higner input voltage for the same input power level!

ASTRiDMan March 14th, 2002 05:13 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'll try out a few headsets to see the difference.

Vic Owen March 14th, 2002 11:34 PM

Check out the Sony MDR-7506 -- they're widely considered a "standard" for this use. I typically run the level around "one o'clock" on my XL-1.

John Locke March 15th, 2002 12:14 AM

I have those same Sony headphones. The problem I've experienced with them is that they're casing protrudes outward a bit too far. This causes me to sometimes bump the camera with the right earpiece.

Sennheiser has some models that look (on the web) to be a bit more compact and streamlined. I'll be checking them out when I can.

I wonder if any of you have been using the small "in the ear" type of headphones with any success? If so, what brand and model?

Ken Tanaka March 15th, 2002 12:54 AM

I use the 7506's mainly in the "studio" rather than the field. The Sony MDR7505's are their little brother which have basically the same characteristics but smaller ear cups and head piece. They're also foldable and, in my opinion, better for camera use.

Re: using the in-ear headphones, yes, I have used them. I do not really like the Sony "Fontopia" earbud-style design; they hurt my ears and are hard to position for isolation and maximum sound. Sony has another design which features soft round rubber ear plugs that fit very comfortably in your ear canal and offer excellent sound as well as pretty darn good isolation. (I'm using a set right now while watching a DVD on the PowerBook!) They work nicely with the XL1s headphone jack, too.

I bought mine at a local Sony Gallery, but I just found them on the Sony Style site. They're the model MDR-EX70LP:

http://www.sonystyle.com/electronics/prd.jsp?hierc=8632x8746x8747&catid=8747&pid=876&type=p

Try them out. They're the best bud-style I've ever had.

ASTRiDMan March 15th, 2002 12:19 PM

Here's what I've found after a little more research:

The AKG K240DF headphones that I have are rated at 600ohms and I actually found a review that stated flat out that these are hard to drive and need a lot of power to get good volume level.

Whereas, the Sony 7506's you reccomended come in at 75ohms, so I think I will pick up a pair.

Vic Owen March 15th, 2002 06:00 PM

If you can try some with your camera on-hand, that would give you a better idea. I use the 7506 models a lot, but typically in a theater, on the sticks. If you were shooting primarily on the shoulder, something like the 7505s might be better. Both are high quality, and fold up into the included bag.

Dirk J Bakker April 5th, 2002 05:41 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke :
I wonder if any of you have been using the small "in the ear" type of headphones with any success? If so, what brand and model? -->>>

I recently picked up in eBay the Sennheiser MX300 In-EarHeadphones for use with a Sony GV-D900 deck. By coincidence, when I tried them on the XL1s' earphone jack they worked there perfectly.

HTH,

Dirk

Robert Knecht Schmidt April 5th, 2002 06:22 PM

Nix the buds

It seems to me that for monitoring location production audio, the last thing you'd want to use are bud-style headphones.

The more isolation, the better!

I have an old pair of SONY MDR-D77s that are simply workhorse. ($200-$300 range.) This model is discontinued, but I'll tell you, if I found a cache of them sitting in some supplier's warehouse, I'd buy the lot. Thin, durable design, nice isolation, diamond diaphragms. Good for both production audio and post mixing.

Ken Tanaka April 5th, 2002 06:25 PM

Robert,

I agree that isolation is the goal on location. But -these- buds are not the usual Walkman buds. They're more like PLUGS, not buds. They do just about as well as my Sony MDR-7506's, Robert.

Try 'em.

Adrian Douglas April 5th, 2002 10:57 PM

I've been using Sony MDR 400's for about 3 years and they are a great field headphone. Gusee they've been superseeded by now, but the give a good clear sound, and good isolation.

Dirk J Bakker April 5th, 2002 11:09 PM

Re: Nix the buds

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert K S : It seems to me that for monitoring location production audio, the last thing you'd want to use are bud-style headphones.

The more isolation, the better!
-->>>

My response was anecdotal and in response to the question asked, not an indication of preference. I also have Sennheiser HD 490s. Tell you what, I'll take both along and report back. I just find added 'bulk' to be avoided, nevermind that the smaller ones FIT in the case of the deck.

J. Cody Lucido April 10th, 2002 11:44 AM

Isolation is the key. I am experimenting with using Radio Shack Racing headphones (33-1198) for some extreme environments I'm filming. Mainly under a heavy traveled interstate bridge. We are trying to avoid dubbing for a more natural feel.

These don't have as sensitive as a range. I believe 100-20000, but the isolation they provide is worth its weight in gold. I am able to get a good bead with my ME66 shotgun. I have actually been able to record usable audio in the horrific sound environment. Without the headphones, I wouldn't be able to hear anything. I have to shoot super close to achieve good results.

I am trying to locate isolation headphones that have a better range. For normal environments, I use sony studio headphones.

Vic Owen April 11th, 2002 09:49 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Codeman3D : Isolation is the key. I am experimenting with using Radio Shack Racing headphones (33-1198) for some extreme environments I'm filming. Mainly under a heavy traveled interstate bridge. We are trying to avoid dubbing for a more natural feel.

-->>>

Sounds like you're by the ship canal -- it you'd stop feeding the seagulls at Ivars, it would be less noisy!

Cheers