Too many reflections in lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Too many reflections in lens

This is probably a really basic concern but I am an editor more than I am a shooter. Shooting night scenes with an XL1. The standard 16x lens with the hood and an UV filter on it. Shooting under basic streetlighting of various intensities. Color and illumination was good, what I expected but I got lots of reflections in just about every shot. I was shooting into traffic from an overpass so the oncoming headlights had refelections, that does not surprise me, but even shooting illuminated signs, under street lights, everything has all these little reflections. I thought the hood would prevent that. Filter and lens seem clean but maybe this something there, adding to the reflection?

Does this sound like a common issue? Is there some technique or camera setting I should be using? One of the main reasons I got the camera is for night shooting. Image quality is fine for me needs but all this footage was unuseable

Any feedback appreciated Thanks
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Would a multi-coated one help?
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Hmm, filter right? Ok, that's a thought, I will investigate that, thanks. Any other ideas?
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've heard that multi-coated ones prevent reflections.
I never used one and I can't find such statement right now, so I can't tell you for sure.

Are you getting an image of the lens itself? Is that it?
I assume it doesn't show when you're on a fully lit situation, right?
Old August 2nd, 2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Images shot indoors or outside during the day seem fine. And what I was getting that night were like little reflections of whatever light sources there were; so as the cars came towards me, I would see smaller reflections of those lights up in the lens; same with the streetlights and light signs
Old August 2nd, 2008, 06:01 PM   #6
Wrangler

Multi-coated filter may help, but there still are reflections. They are more on the order of 0.5% per surface rather than 2% per surface. Night shooting with lots of deep shadows gives plenty of places where reflections can become apparent in the image because they are not swamped by well lit object in the background as is usually the case in day shooting.

Also, if using the OIS, you may see dancing lights as reflections follow the VAP movement.
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #7
Trustee

Filters have a flat surface and therefore cause far more problems with reflections than the curved surface of the original front lens optic.

Remove the filter completely and turn off the IS. Also leave the lens set to a fixed position and try not to zoom. When the lens zooms or IS are active, the internal glass elements will move and cause more reflections when you are directly pointed at light sources such as lamps or the setting/rising sun.
Old August 4th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Major Player

These are all great suggestions, thanks to everyone. The point of filter versus lens is something that occured to me, as well as the IS so I will try those

Thanks
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog