Amelie-like results with Xl1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 8th, 2003, 02:12 AM   #1
Tourist

Amelie-like results with Xl1s

Hey guys.
i've always had an affinity with the saturated look found in movies like "Amelie."

Is there any tips out there to get vibrant, "comfortably-in-your-face" coloring with the xl1s (especially for outdoor nightime shooting). If you've seen the movie, there's a distinct look to it where the colors almost seem alive. I think there may be more to it than simply pumping up the "color" strength.

Thanks for any help!
Robert Kiraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 02:22 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Robert,

I asked a similar question not long ago...you can find the thread here. Look specifically at the post from Peter Koller...he provides a link to a PDF file that explains how it was done.

SPOILER: It's done in post.
Old August 8th, 2003, 04:58 AM   #3
Tourist

thanks

Thanks John. That was definitely informative.

What I'm wondering, though, is how I can achieve a similar effect with an xl1s and fcp.

The system used in 'Amelie' is amazing, not to mention expensive. :p
question is: what technicals should i keep in mind, when shooting and in post, to achieve the best results?

the reason i'm asking is because i have a somewhat loosely similar style in mind for a movie - i'm just afriad that i wont be able to pull off amelie-like colors vibrancy and contrasts with an xl1 and fcp.

btw, this will be shot outside at night (2 or 3am) wow, that'll complicate things huh?

well anyway, i appreciate all the help everyone.
keep them coming if possible! ;)
Old August 11th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #4
RED Code Chef

I think Amelie used a slight greenish cast. Did you try saturating
your colors in post? I have Amelie on a 2-disc special edition DVD
set here. I'll check to see if that has any specifics.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #5

Well if anyone would know, it would be John! I love the effects you created in your "Lady X" episode.

By the way, what will happen with Episode 08? Is the slot still open? Is there still time left to produce it?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #6
Tourist

yep

switching the color for a more greenish tint would get the job done, but would also affect the skin tone, so i suppose a low budget version would be difficult if not impossible.

john, i hear u used a similar effect in "lady x"
i would love to see it, where can i find the film?

thanks
Old August 11th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Don,

Thanks a lot! You're the very first person to mention that...I was thinking no one had noticed/liked the color correction. You've just made my day!

Robert, you can see it at LadyXFilms.com...Episode 01.

How was it done? Whew! LOTS of dabbling with FCP standard filters...and some from "Joe's Filter." Not that I presume to know much about color correction or anything...but here's how I did it:

Originally, I had the whole film more of a desaturated cool green, trying to get a Matrix-like color scheme. It didn't come out exactly the way I wanted (hard to maintain the same greenish quality in sunlit and rather dark indoor settings and have it look good. My outdoor shots looked sickly that way.), so I switched and started trying for a more saturated, greenish but warm Amelie color scheme.

Practically every cut has different settings, but in general I first used "Joe's Simple Saturation" set at gray (average) and notched it up to anywhere from 103% to 127%, depending on the shot (for instance, the closeup shots of her red nails are pumped up to 127%). Then I used the FCP "Brightness and contrast" filter and knocked the brightness down usually to -3 or -5. I left the contrast as is. Finally, but most importantly, I'd use the FCP "Color Balance" filter, set at midtone, then start playing with the red, green, and blue values. Practically every shot has different values, so I can't give you a standard there.

Don, the producer of episode 8 unfortunately had a death in the family, so understandably that episode hasn't been completed. Generally, if someone isn't able to participate, we go down the list of alternate submissions we've received and offer the vacant spot to them. Episode 6 was done that way by one very brave Emin Firat Övür who took on the responsiblity and made an episode in a short amount of time.
Old August 12th, 2003, 02:12 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

I checked the DVD and it has nothing on how the look was
achieved...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 03:22 PM   #9
Major Player

There were some clues as to how they achieved this. One thing for sure is the art direction. There was a lot of art direction that helped with the colors. They specifically choose the palette of colors to create a mood then they made sure that each set had objects with these colors. I believe he choose red and green with blue as the wild card.

Its could to be hard to have a redish greenish theme in your film if nothing in that frame is that color.

THe next thing is that in post you will have to saturate your colors, which is obvious that the film has tremendous color correction job done on it. It is possible to dissect the film, but you really have to listen to the DVD commentary, because it is one of the best ever.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog