DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1-S advice Possible Trade (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/13055-xl1-s-advice-possible-trade.html)

Wade McGee August 9th, 2003 08:22 PM

XL1-S adice Possible Trade

I just picked up an incredible XL1-S, just refreshed from Canon. Gave $3500 for an incredible package. Basically all that I needed minus a tripod.

At any rate, here is my delima (or just lack of aclimating myself to the camera). I shoot Remote Control Helicopters in flight, for the most part anyway. I then use the footage to author DVDs of Helicopter shows. Niche market, but seems to be a pretty good niche. So far the Camera seems too bulky. Prior to the XL1-S I was using an inexpesive Canon ZR10, which really did quite well for what it was. The XL1-S is picking up amazing footage but doesn't seem to focus as quickly as the ZR-10 and it is a PIG in comparison.

I am not thinking that I should have gone with the Sony PD150 or the VX2000. Any advice out there??? Just get used to it or find a PD150 owner that wants to step up and throw in some cash for a possible Trade.

Also, most all of my work will be from the shoulder. Don't really see being able to use a Tripod at all. These things are not regular toys but Hardcore 3D flight. Constant change from 5 foot off the ground to 100 feet in the air. I will try to post a small clip later tonight to give anyone that cares a better idea.

Thanks in advance,
Wade

Alfred Tomaszewski August 10th, 2003 12:49 PM

if you like the colors xl1s puts out then you should possibly look at a gl1 or gl2. gl1's can be had on ebay for well under $1500. but if you have a bigger budget, (which you obvisouly do because you bought an xl1s) the gl2 is the way to go. I have had a gl1 for about a year and couldnt be happier with it.

Wade McGee August 10th, 2003 04:03 PM

I shot with it today and actually felt a ton better with it. I have a shoulder rest coming for it. After I try that out I will make some decisions.
Wade

Dean Sensui August 12th, 2003 03:31 AM

Wade...

I always wanted one of those radio-controlled aircraft, even after learning how to fly a real airplane!

Give yourself a chance to get accustomed to the camera. You'll soon discover that you'll be able to hold a steadier shot with a shoulder-mounted camera than one that's strictly handheld, like a PD-150.

Also, get the hang of shooting with manual settings. It'll help with the changes of background throwing off an auto-exposure system and it'll allow you to hold focus better on a changing target, too.

Have you seen some of the tiny cameras that can be mounted on these helicopters?

http://www.rctoys.com/eyecam.php

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions

Wade McGee August 12th, 2003 04:50 AM

Thanks

Yeah,
I think that you are are correct. Take a look at my site, this will give you a better idea of what I do:

www.wademcgeetradingcompany.com

I have a BBS on my home page and on the BBS I have some video. This will show you some examples. I have a lot to learn that is for sure.

In manual mode, do you suggest using the Zebra pattern?

Wade

Richard R Rivera August 12th, 2003 11:31 AM

lets trade cameras

Ill gladly trade you my GL2 that new and has no hours on it for your XL1s + i have 2 other cameras to go with the deal. I have a Cano Es75 brand new with maybe 2 hours on it and a Sony tr818 handycam with only six hours on it all are new and have boxes and are in mint condition. all have bags except the GL2 has a Hard Case i made for it and it has a combunation built in. so if your interested e-mail me if not i understand.

Dean Sensui August 13th, 2003 02:46 AM

Wade...

Zebra stripes help in that it can indicate where you're getting close to maximum exposure level, but it depends on how you set it up.

Watching for highlight burnout helps a lot, too.

I wasn't able to figure out where your clips are so wasn't able to watch any of them.

Check out some of the tiny cameras -- the shots you could get with those in an RC helicopter should prove fascinating. They're even placed in model rockets.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions