XL1-S advice Possible Trade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 9th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #1
New Boot

XL1-S adice Possible Trade

I just picked up an incredible XL1-S, just refreshed from Canon. Gave $3500 for an incredible package. Basically all that I needed minus a tripod.

At any rate, here is my delima (or just lack of aclimating myself to the camera). I shoot Remote Control Helicopters in flight, for the most part anyway. I then use the footage to author DVDs of Helicopter shows. Niche market, but seems to be a pretty good niche. So far the Camera seems too bulky. Prior to the XL1-S I was using an inexpesive Canon ZR10, which really did quite well for what it was. The XL1-S is picking up amazing footage but doesn't seem to focus as quickly as the ZR-10 and it is a PIG in comparison.

I am not thinking that I should have gone with the Sony PD150 or the VX2000. Any advice out there??? Just get used to it or find a PD150 owner that wants to step up and throw in some cash for a possible Trade.

Also, most all of my work will be from the shoulder. Don't really see being able to use a Tripod at all. These things are not regular toys but Hardcore 3D flight. Constant change from 5 foot off the ground to 100 feet in the air. I will try to post a small clip later tonight to give anyone that cares a better idea.

Thanks in advance,
Wade
Old August 10th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

if you like the colors xl1s puts out then you should possibly look at a gl1 or gl2. gl1's can be had on ebay for well under $1500. but if you have a bigger budget, (which you obvisouly do because you bought an xl1s) the gl2 is the way to go. I have had a gl1 for about a year and couldnt be happier with it.
Alfred Tomaszewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #3
New Boot

I shot with it today and actually felt a ton better with it. I have a shoulder rest coming for it. After I try that out I will make some decisions.
Wade
Old August 12th, 2003, 03:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Wade...

I always wanted one of those radio-controlled aircraft, even after learning how to fly a real airplane!

Give yourself a chance to get accustomed to the camera. You'll soon discover that you'll be able to hold a steadier shot with a shoulder-mounted camera than one that's strictly handheld, like a PD-150.

Also, get the hang of shooting with manual settings. It'll help with the changes of background throwing off an auto-exposure system and it'll allow you to hold focus better on a changing target, too.

Have you seen some of the tiny cameras that can be mounted on these helicopters?

http://www.rctoys.com/eyecam.php

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2003, 04:50 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks

Yeah,
I think that you are are correct. Take a look at my site, this will give you a better idea of what I do:

www.wademcgeetradingcompany.com

I have a BBS on my home page and on the BBS I have some video. This will show you some examples. I have a lot to learn that is for sure.

In manual mode, do you suggest using the Zebra pattern?

Wade
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #6
New Boot

lets trade cameras

Ill gladly trade you my GL2 that new and has no hours on it for your XL1s + i have 2 other cameras to go with the deal. I have a Cano Es75 brand new with maybe 2 hours on it and a Sony tr818 handycam with only six hours on it all are new and have boxes and are in mint condition. all have bags except the GL2 has a Hard Case i made for it and it has a combunation built in. so if your interested e-mail me if not i understand.
Old August 13th, 2003, 02:46 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Wade...

Zebra stripes help in that it can indicate where you're getting close to maximum exposure level, but it depends on how you set it up.

Watching for highlight burnout helps a lot, too.

I wasn't able to figure out where your clips are so wasn't able to watch any of them.

Check out some of the tiny cameras -- the shots you could get with those in an RC helicopter should prove fascinating. They're even placed in model rockets.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog